Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I've got a MBP that seems to be working fine with the exception of the keyboard after a liquid spill. I can connect a USB keyboard and login to the user account and use the computer normally. Replacing the built in keyboard is more of a hassle than I want to mess with so I intend to wipe the HD and then sell it for parts on eBay. I'm trying to enter recovery mode to erase the HD and then reinstall the OS. I'm presented with a "lock screen" after pressing CMD R during reboot. I'm assuming it wants the account password but its not accepting the password. File Vault is turned off. iCloud is logged out. Nothing is typed into the field and absolutely nothing happens. Any thoughts on what I can do to erase the drive and reinstall the OS?
[doublepost=1469468645][/doublepost]It appears that this is a firmware password screen. I don't recall putting a firmware password on this laptop but if I did, I know exactly what the password it. It does not accept that password. Nothing (not even asterisks) show up when typing with the USB keyboard. The utility screen does not come up so that I can go in and remove the password if in fact there is one. I CAN login to the user account. Is there anything I can do from there? Maybe in Terminal?

Attachments

• IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 131

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It appears that this is a firmware password screen.

Yep... that is a firmware password and somebody enabled it from the recovery utility. The only way to get around that is to take it to Apple with proof of ownership and they can remove it for you.

This article decribes the process Apple uses to remove the password.

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Well, that someone would have been me. I do know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, what the firmware password would be, but it doesn't seem to be accepting any input from the external keyboard which is weird because it works fine once I log in to the user account. I bought this laptop off eBay so I don't have any original proof of purchase. Am I just hosed here? Maybe I'll try pairing a bluetooth keyboard with the computer and see if that will let me type on the firmware password screen..

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I've tried a second USB keyboard. Haven't tried the BT keyboard yet.
If I remove the SSD, will another user be able to install a new HD and use the computer or will the firmware lock remain?
I guess I just need to suck it up and go to the Apple store and see if they will unlock it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.