Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maik_is_here

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Sporting a MBP 2019 15".
It looks like for some apps I have to update to Catalina use them (Good Notes for example). I also hope to finally get a fix with Catalina for some of the throttling issues I still have with the machine, especially when connected to external monitors.

I am hearing all these recommendations not to update from an active Mojave installation to Catalina, but do a fresh install instead.
I am horrified about losing all my intricate setup details for the current machine. It would take me a week to get everything to how it should be.

My questions: Would it work to wipe my machine clean, install catalina, then restore my mojave time machine backup to it?
Could that lead to a better experience?

Thanks for any advice!

Maik

Last edited:

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Firstly, I cannot understand why you would need to update to Catalina to run any app. Mojave will run 32 and 64bit apps perfectly but you may get a warning that this application is not optimised for this operating system. You can just ignore that. It only happens the first time you launch the app. In fact if that's what you are referring to it may be that they are 32bit apps which will NOT run on Catalina. Check in Apple Menu > About this Mac > System Report > Applications to see how many 32bit apps you have.

I upgraded my 2015 MBP to Catalina over my Mojave OS no problems. So a clean install is good but not necessary. If you download the Catalina Installer make sure to keep a copy of it on an external drive then if you should decide later to perform a clean instal you can.

If you have a current full Time Machine backup performing a clean install will prompt you to restore data from a TM backup if you have it plugged in.

maik_is_here

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Thanks for the detailed response! Very helpful.

The Catalina-only app is Good Notes 5. I rely heavily on it on my ipad pro and to sync to my mac I need to upgrade. It's one of the first solid Catalyst apps it seems.

I probably will wait for .2 release on catalina and then make the jump.

Thanks again for your time to respond!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You are still using Mojave, is this correct?

If you want to experiment with Catalina, but have a good "insurance policy" to get back to Mojave, do this:
1. You'll need an external drive large enough to hold the contents of your internal drive.
2. You'll need CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. Both are FREE to download and use for 30 days (this method will cost you nothing)
3. Use either CCC or SD to create a bootable cloned backup of your Mojave install onto the external drive
4. Now you can try the Catalina upgrade, BUT....

If things don't work out, having a BOOTABLE CLONED BACKUP makes it easy to "get back to where you once belonged" by doing this:
a. BOOT from the cloned backup
b. ERASE the internal drive -- NUKE IT
c. RE-clone the cloned backup BACK TO the internal drive.
It will be "just like you never left".

If you DON'T do it this way, you can still get back, but it won't be nearly as easily done.

maik_is_here

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Thank you Fishrrman! Sounds like a great idea, too!

On this point,

"
c. RE-clone the cloned backup BACK TO the internal drive.
"

How will that be accomplished? I tried to look at the help sites for these programs, but found no clear answer. Is there a way to directly clone off the booted drive? Or do I have to use install clean MacOS and then use migration assistant?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.