Restoring my Mac Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alexbates, Jan 25, 2009.

1. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I have recently been trying to partition my Hard drive to use bootcamp for the Windows 7 beta. I have followed many online instructions on how to do so, but I am getting stuck in the Bootcamp Asistant.

Bootcamp Asistant says that my HD needs to be repaired. So I follow online instructions to repair my HD. In disk utility, I am getting an error when I try to verify the disk. I have already verified disk permissions and verifyed repair permissions just if you are wondering. I have also tried to use OnyX, but that didn't help.

So instructions say that my only other option is to restore my Mac from the restore disk, partition my HD, then restore OSX from my Time Machine backup. My MBP origionally came with Tiger then I later upgraded to Leopard. Will my restore disk restore my Mac back to Tiger or will it remain Leopard? I am just wondering if I'm going to have to spend another 4 hours with that Leopard install disk. Do you have any idea how long it takes to go through the restore process using the restore disk? (I am not worried about the Time Machine backup yet)

Do you think I am doing this the right way or are there any other alternatives?Please let me know about the restore disk if you know anything about it.

Thanks!

2. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

I just thought of something else. Maybe I could use the Leopard Install disk to restore my Mac. Or is that only for installing?

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You should use the Leopard disk to restore your computer. The restore disk contains Tiger and won't allow you to restore from a Time Machine backup.

Use Disk Utility on your Leopard disk (under the Utilities menu) to reformat your entire drive, do a fresh install of Leopard, then choose to restore from the latest Time Machine backup when prompted.

4. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

Thanks for your help! I am getting ready to start it now.