Restoring my Macbook Pro to Factory Settings?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sopngeo, Mar 12, 2014.

1. sopngeo macrumors newbie

So I bought a used Macbook pro and I want to restore it to factory setting so it's like new, but I don't have any disks or anything.

I have checked the partition and it says it has 'GUID something something'. I have looked and I could buy the recovery disks off ebay?

could something help me understand if I need to buy the disks or if I already have the restore stuff in my partition?

If i do need to get disks which ones should I get (Snow leopard? ect)

I really appreciate any help! thank you

George Kinghorn

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

What operating system are you trying to restore to? This has a large affect on what you should get.

For example, Mountain Lion and Mavericks can easily be purchased on the apple store and restored. Something like Leopard or Snow Leopard though you will need to find disks.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Tell us what year model is your Macbook is and we can help you out.

Click the little Apple at the top left of the screen then click About this Mac then click More Info and you will see a screen that will say something like "13 inch Mid 2013".

4. sopngeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Brill, will post more info when home, at work atm.

I think it's snow leopard, will check later

5. sopngeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

The info is:

Mac OS x
    Version 10.6.8

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

More info says Macbook Pro 8,1

Is this enough info thanks

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep...

Okay... you have two ways to go here. You can either buy the Snow Leopard installer disks from Apple and do a clean install that way, or you can just update to the free Mavericks OS 10.9 and go that route. Mavericks is what I would do.

Here is what you need to do. Make a backup first with Time Machine and an external drive just to be safe. Then click here to launch the App Store app and purchase the free Mavericks update.

Once Mavericks downloads (about 5GB) go ahead and complete the Mavericks install over top of Snow Leopard. Mavericks will create a hidden recovery partition you can now use for the fresh install.

Shut down the machine then start it up and hold the command-r keys at the same time. That will get you to a recovery screen like this.

[​IMG]

Start Disk Utility and go to the erase tab and erase the Macintosh HD partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Then quit Disk Utility and click Reinstall OS X. This will download the OS again and install it to the now blank drive.

When the install is done and the system restarts you will be walked through setting up a new user account for yourself.

This will give you nothing but a fresh install of the OS with no other data on there.

Once you see everything is working okay make yourself a new Time Machine backup to an external disk and you will be able to boot from that disk if you ever need to recover from a drive failure.

7. sopngeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for this!

I have one problem though, I can't access the App Store on the macbook because it's an old University Laptop so it (for some reason) wont allow me to download it, even though I have a Admin account!

Is there a way to download Mavericks onto my Desktop (PC) and load it on from there (flashdrive)? Or maybe a way to unlock my Mac so it will let me have the app store?

An awkward one I know :/

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm.... try following this carefully step by step to make a new admin account and see if that account will let you do it.

Is the App Store app there in the Applications folder and you just can't launch it or what? The App Store app came with the Snow Leopard 10.6.8 update and you may just need to run software update to make sure you have that?

There is no way to get this done on the PC. You need the Mac App Store app to get the OS.

9. sopngeo thread starter macrumors newbie

I have created a new admin since I got it, which I thought would remove all restrictions but it hasn't seemed to. The app store just doesn't show up in the applications list, even thought I have tried re-installing the update a few times.

Would the best way to be to re-install via the snow leopard disks?

thanks

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So in that About this Mac window I mentioned earlier it shows you are on 10.6.8?

You are saying if you open Finder and look in the Applications folder you don't even see the App Store application?

If you made a new account I don't see how any previous restrictions could stop you from installing the app that comes with a system update.

Try this... manually download the 10.6.8 update here and install it and see if that gets you the App Store app.

You may have to if we can't get you fixed up here, but I think we can.

11. sopngeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, it's just not in the list full stop :/

I thought the same but it seems like there's still something missing.

Yes I'm on 10.6.8, I'm currently downloading the update you linked me so I'll report back once it's finished and installed.

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Hopefully, the combined installer will put that App Store in place, and you can move on without too much more drama :D

Also, it's possible that a school-configured Mac might have removed the App Store from the system, to prevent that type of access - and you would have another good reason to wipe and reinstall from a real installer (there may be other parts removed, too, which may not yet be obvious)

13. sopngeo thread starter macrumors newbie

I think this is the case as I tried to install some software and it wouldn't load it up I believe something has been removed. If this is the case, I will still be able to re-install via disks?

14. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Did you get some kind of error message when you tried to install? Or just when you tried to use (launch) the software?
    You may have tried to use some software that requires 10.7 or newer.
    Or, you could be correct about the system simply preventing you, because of some left-over settings that you may not be able to get around without reinstalling everything (still probably the best way to proceed)

15. sopngeo thread starter macrumors newbie

the manual update still has a little while to download so I will print screen any messages I get :)

16. sopngeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Right the install is done

----------

Still no sign of the app store anywhere in the applications list... strange :(!

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Well crap... I don't get it. I can't imagine why this won't work. :confused:

Unless somebody pops in here with another idea, you are gonna need to call Apple and order the grey OEM installer DVD and go that route to get the drive wiped and Snow Leopard fresh installed, then you can go to Mavs if you want after.

Do you have access to another Mac? Maybe a friend with one? If you do you could DL Mavericks on their machine then use this application with a 8GB USB key to make a Mavericks installer. Then you could option key boot to that and wipe the disk and install Mavs directly.

18. sopngeo thread starter macrumors newbie

I might do that, most of my friends are PC's, but could I buy snow lep from apple store for 14.99, and clean install from those disks? to save the hassle I would be happy to pay 14.99 then download mavs after if I want to.

19. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can order Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion direct from Apple.com
    For example, Mountain Lion from: http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

You can find out for sure if you have an App Store installed, or not, by going to the Mavericks web page, and clicking on the App Store link. It either works, or not: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-mavericks/id675248567?mt=12&ls=1&v0=www-osx-upgrade-button
    Click on the "View in Mac App Store" button under the Mavericks X icon. (or that link may take you automatically to the App Store - if it exists on your system)

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Don't buy this retail version. That is an earlier build version of OS X that won't work on your machine. You need to call 1800MYAPPLE and give them your serial number and get the grey OEM installer DVD that would have come with that Mac. It looks like this. Make sure you make that clear to them so they don't send you the retail version.

[​IMG]

21. sopngeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh no I get an message saying it 'doesn't know how to open this',

I'll buy one now which will solve this I presume. When I get the disks it is simple to re-install? I might as well buy the newest?

----------

Ahhh okay, I can't use the retail version?

Right I'll give them a ring tomorrow

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope. It won't work. The build number is older than the one needed by your Mac.

23. kippertron macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry to weight in at the late stages, but I would buy the Mountain Lion install disc and when it arrives, insert it in your MacBook, restart and hold down option, and it'll take you to the screen in post #6.

Reformat the drive in Disk Utility: In the left hand column in Disk Utility, you'll see the internal Hard Drive at the top of the list, giving you the size of drive and probably the make, with "Macintosh HD" underneath. "Macintosh HD" is the partition on the drive. Click on the main drive name above this. On the main area, click "Partition".

On the drop down menu where it says "Current", choose one partition. Under "Options", make sure it's set to GUID partition. In the "Format" drop down, choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and name the drive "Macintosh HD". Hit "Apply" and click "OK".

After the drive is formatted, quit Disk Utility and choose the "Install OS X" option. You should be presented with the newly formatted drive as the only choice of where to install. Follow the onscreen instructions.

Can anyone see if I've left anything out?

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The snag here is there is no such thing as a Mountain Lion install disk. That link to the Apple Store gets a code emailed to you, then you enter that code in the App Store from 10.6.8 or later and you get Mountain Lion downloaded through the App Store.

OP is in the trick bag here because we can't seem to get the App Store app on his machine for some reason.

25. sopngeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion though!

----------

What is the build number mine needs? is there a way to find this out?

thanks