Restoring my Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by asaad, Jan 12, 2011.

1. asaad, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

asaad macrumors member

So i just bought a new Macbook Air and I want to give my old MacBook to my mom, how do i go about restoring it back to what it was out of the box? I have a snow leopard OS disc on hand, I'm assuming I'll need that. Any help is appreciated.

Also i've got some cracking around the plastic bezel and the plastic piece over the keyboard, anyone have any experience getting those pieces replaced at the apple store?

2. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Not sure if Apple is still fixing that issue. I know Apple was replacing the plastics recently for free, its worth a shot.

Put the OS X install CD in your drive, reboot holding the 'C' key. At the first screen, 'select a language' go to the installer menu and choose Disk Utility. When that opens, click on the Erase Tab, click on your hard drive, click on the options button (at the bottom of the window) and select 'zero all data', click OK and then click Erase.

Wait a long time (takes at least 30 minutes), and all data is gone and zeroed. Quit the Disk Utility, and choose to continue the installer.

3. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I am going to the Genius bar tomorrow morning to see about having my palm rest replaced as its cracking along the front edge.

I posted in here the other day about it and was told they are still replacing them. I will report back tomorrow and let you know how I get on.