Restoring my new replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wolfattack, Aug 28, 2008.

1. wolfattack macrumors member

Hi everyone. Sorry if this has been asked before, i tried searching, but it wasn't quite coming up.

I just got back from the apple store where they replaced my iphone, and i plugged it into my computer to restore to my old iphone backup, but I am getting this message...

"The Backup "..... iPhone" cannot be restored to this iPhone because the software on the iPhone is too old.
    To restore this iPhone from this backup, you must first set up the iPhone as new and restore the software to the latest version."

I know it seems to explain it in that message, but by setting up my replacement iphone as a new iphone to update the firmware, will it delete my old backups?

thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No it will not delete your backups. Just do it, update the Firmware, then restore from backup.

TEG

3. cleung macrumors regular

I had the exact same problem. I selected set up as new phone except when I tried to update firmware, it said it would do a backup before updating. I had only two choices, cancel or backup. So I selected backup. It updated the firmware and then I restored but I lost all my old data including SMSs, etc. Anyway I can find my old backups????? I had a lot of important information on those SMSs! Please help!