Restoring New IPhone 4s from Backup - Insufficient Capacity

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Colgin, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Colgin macrumors member

I just upgraded my wife's IPhone 3Gs to the IPhone 4s. Both phones are 16G. On her old phone she had about 3.9g unused capacity so she thought 16g would be sufficient for the new phone. The majority of her usage is photos.

I did a restore from backup which backup was made this morning. During the backup process, the new phone in ITunes was showing insufficient capacity and indicated we went over available capacity. This seemed odd. However, when I checked availability on the phone itself it showed approximately 4g of unused space, which would be consistent with her old phone. However, when I checked her photos app, there were numerous folders that were empty, as if photos had not been copied due to lack of space.

Has anyone encountered this issue. Is this a bug or could the new phone be making larger file sizes for photos when copying. The actual photo sizes on my desktop are huge but the IPhone has always sufficiently compressed the files so there were never space issues.

Since I was moving from a 32g to a 64g phone, if there was some sort of capacity bug I might not even have noticed since I have so much space on my new phone.

Ay suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Colgin thread starter macrumors member

The following article suggests that photos are compressed differently for the Iphone 4 (and presumably same for the 4s) as compared to the 3GS and the same number of photos take up significantly more space:

http://www.jugtown.us/blog/archives/122

Assuming that to be true, it would have been nice if that information was disseminated (as I doubt many people would assume that). It really affects the requirements for someone who has a lot of photos.