Restoring new iphone to 4.1 can it be done?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pbateman, Nov 30, 2010.

1. pbateman macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    I just got an Iphone 4 that came with 4.1. Somehow after I synced to itunes and downloaded all my music/data to it(form my old 3G), the music does not show up in music, but there's a 3GB section of 'other' showing up in Itunes.
    I do not have any games/game data and only a few apps so i am guessing the 'other' is probably my old music that was not recognized as music and its just taking up space.
    I read the only way of getting rid of the 'other' data or make it more manageable is to restore as new phone.
    When I try to restore using the iclarified ipsw file for 4.1 (the version the phone came with) I get an error after it tries to verify the restore with apple. I am guessing this has to do with the fact it is no longer signed by Apple so I HAVE to 'restore'/upgrade to 4.2.1?
    I would rather restore to 4.1 to keep my current baseband for any upcoming unlock.
    What are my options (if any)? Do I have to restore to 4.2.1? I wouldn't mind leaving it in 4.1 since the phone is working good, but those 3GB of 'other' are taking up a lot of space and would rather not have it there...

Thanks for any help!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you don't have the 4.1 shsh saved on Cydia or on your computer you won't be able to restore to it.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Did Apple finally stop signing 4.1? If they still are he should be able to.

4. Zermelo macrumors regular

If you bought an iphone 4 on 4.1 fw, then you already have (currently) an unlockable baseband. So I'm assuming you're either on the locked carrier or you are waiting for an unlock for the current baseband.

In the first case (you are on the locked carrier), then it doesn't matter if you upgrade. In the second case, then I would suggest not to update since an exploit for i4 basebands is being worked on.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not 100% but I think they did.

6. pbateman thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have SHSH saved for 4.1 on this phone, i think i saved them for my old 3G which I sold (so im guessing cant use those). I then bought this Iphone 4 which came with 4.1. I cannot use SHSH files form my 3G on this I4 correct?
    As far as I know 4.1 its not unlockable yet on the iphone 4, am I wrong?
    I am on AT&T so i only need the unlock for when I go out of the country, so not for everyday. I will be leaving the country in 2 weeks though and would like to take advantage of any upcoming unlock for the iphone 4.
    I figured there's more of a chance of an unlock for the 4.1 being available soon than the 4.2...
    However i realllly want to get rid of that wasted space but restoring form backup has not helped so I read the only way is restoring and then setting up as new phone..

7. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I'm glad somebody created this thread, because this is exactly what I want to do. I've got an iP4 running 4.00 and there is an app I need that requires 4.1 or higher (Dish Network Streaming).

I've got all my SHSH saved on Cydia and I assume I can download 4.1 from the web.

My friend Google returned this guide:

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725672-how-using-tiny-umbrella-update-restore.html

Does this cover everything I need? From there, I can use either Limera1n or Greenp0ison for untethered JB on 4.1. Correct?

8. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Upgrade to 4.1 using a custom 4.1 firmware (keeps baseband) using DFU mode found in Pwnagetool (Mac) or Redsnow (Windows).

9. pbateman thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys,
    I think I fixed it without having to do a restore. I plugged the phone to my PC (running Ubuntu, not sure if this can be done with OSX or Windows) browsed the filesystem on the phone and deleted the 3GB worth of music that was not recognized, as well as 200MB worth of Album art and now my Other is down to 200MB and Im still at 4.1 so, best of both worlds...gotta love Linux

10. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

11. Zermelo macrumors regular

You could have easily done that by shh'ing into your iphone with Winscp, provided you have a jailbroken iPhone.