Restoring new iPhone to iTunes instead of iCloud

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by skpkurle, Oct 25, 2012.

1. skpkurle macrumors newbie

So, I recently dunked my iPhone 4 in water, completely frying it.
    Bought a new iPhone 4s. Got too excited, and decided to immedietly get it up and running by restoring to iCloud.

Problem is, I hadn't backed up to iCloud in FOREEEVER, so most of my recent information wasn't on there.
    I would back up to iTunes regularly though, so I figure all my most recent messages, pictures, contacts, apps, notes, etc. are all on there.
    I want to start over and get all that most recent stuff on my new phone,
    but I dont know how to do that and I'm afraid I'll end up losing everything.
    How do I do this without completely screwing everything up?

sidenote/possible really dumb questin (pls don't judge): my iPhone was drowning for a few days before I got a new one, is there anyway to retrieve text messages sent during those few days I was phoneless?

PLEASE SEND HELP.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you had iCloud backup turned on, then just syncing to iTunes did not create backups like it did in the days before iCloud. With iCloud backup on you need to manually backup to iTunes by right clicking the device in iTunes then select backup.

Start iTunes and in the preferences pane look under devices and you will see a list of iOS devices that have been backed up and the last date they were backed up. Then you can decide if it is worth it for you.

If you decide you want to restore from iTunes backup just attache the device with USB and click restore in iTunes.