Restoring old time machine backups to the desktop

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by shosterman, Aug 9, 2014.

1. shosterman macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I found an older Seagate GoFlex 1TB that I would like to start using as a drive for moving large sets of files around between computers here at the house. However, I see that it has a 3 Time Machine backups on it from 2012, each from a different Mac. Usage is about 300GB of the 1TB.

What I would like to do is figure out what files they are and consolidate if necessary. I imagined just opening up the backups, copying all files to the desktop of my current mac and sorting through things. Searching for duplicates, cleanup old data, etc. Basically just clean out any redundancy and put it all into the current backup.

I figured I would need to "Browse other Backup Disks," but once I get in there I am confused. At different dates in the TM (which there aren't many) I see files here and there. I would like to just restore EVERYTHING, like all latest versions, to a single location on my desktop. Keeping a basic hierarchy like Pictures, Documents, Users, etc.

How do I do this?

By the way, I also have a Synology NAS with about 1TB at the moment if I need to use that.

Once everything is off I will reformat the drive.

Thank you

2. shosterman thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind.

Basically what I did was open the "other" Time Machine backups on this Mac and restore the whole User folder from the latest backup to a the desktop of the current mac. Then moved that to my NAS. I did that with all 3 backups.

I figured anything outside of the Documents, Pictures, Music, Desktop, etc. I didn't really care about anyway.

Thanks anyway for reading!