Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James83448

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
I am selling my old Macbook and I'm having a bit of trouble trying to install the original version of OS X that came with the Macbook.

I'm not 100% certain what version it came with. I believe the Macbook is a 5,2 but can't be 100% certain of that either as I've wiped the boot drive, so can't get into "About This Mac".

I was running Yosemite on it when I was using it, but when I try to install that using a USB installer, it asks for my Apple ID (which I don't want to use).

I believe Internet Recovery would install the original version of OS X, but the Macbook I'm selling is too old to use Internet Recovery?

How can I restore the original OS X onto the Macbook please?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I am selling my old Macbook and I'm having a bit of trouble trying to install the original version of OS X that came with the Macbook.

I'm not 100% certain what version it came with. I believe the Macbook is a 5,2 but can't be 100% certain of that either as I've wiped the boot drive, so can't get into "About This Mac".

I was running Yosemite on it when I was using it, but when I try to install that using a USB installer, it asks for my Apple ID (which I don't want to use).

I believe Internet Recovery would install the original version of OS X, but the Macbook I'm selling is too old to use Internet Recovery?

Check your box and other stuff for some gray dvd's, that is what apple used pre internet recovery.

BTW, you have to use the grey disc specific for your model.

James83448

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
I bought the Macbook second hand 2 years ago and it came with none of the original packaging, nor discs.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The Apple ID is used to download Yosemite, but it doesn't remain behind after the install.
You're out of luck unless you can track down some restore disks for your model.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice:

Forget about installing "the original OS", if you don't have the original DVDs.
(Aside: there are -other- sources to obtain old copies of Apple software, if you know where to look and don't mind using them...)

Instead, just install a "good, working" OS (perhaps the one you're currently using?)

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
You need to do a clean install of Yosemite. This means booting from the USB ... selecting Disk Utility ... reformatting your entire drive ... and then installing Yosemite. It won't ask for your Apple ID if you do it this way.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Just reinstall Yosemite. As redheeler mentioned, entering your AppleID just allows the download and does not tie your AppleID to that machine in any way.

So if you still have Yosemite on there, just command-r boot to recovery and use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD then reinstall. At the end of the install when the setup process starts, just power down.

Just tell the new owner to be sure and login to the App Store with their own AppleID and "purchase" Yosemite so it will be available under their AppleID should they ever need to reinstall.

Reactions: chabig

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Just reinstall Yosemite. As redheeler mentioned, entering your AppleID just allows the download and does not tie your AppleID to that machine in any way.

So if you still have Yosemite on there, just command-r boot to recovery and use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD then reinstall. At the end of the install when the setup process starts, just power down.

Just tell the new owner to be sure and login to the App Store with their own AppleID and "purchase" Yosemite so it will be available under their AppleID should they ever need to reinstall.
They do not need to 'purchase' anything when they start using the machine.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
They do not need to 'purchase' anything when they start using the machine.
Read what I said. I said they should "purchase" (free) Yosemite so if in the event they ever want to reinstall it will be available under their AppleID. There is nothing incorrect about that statement, so I don't understand your point?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Weaselboy remains correct. Even free software is "purchased", and would then show up in the App Store under, yes, the Purchases tab. And, it is listed under your AppleID account as a purchase, even though there is no cost.

Reactions: Weaselboy

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Good thing we're arguing over the semantics of downloading and purchasing from the App Store.

Reactions: Weaselboy

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
While I admit to being overly pedantic here, I suspect that you do need to "own" the system software, if the Mac did not actually ship with that version, just to satisfy the terms of the software license.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
It's free. You don't need to "own" it under some strange licensing regulations because as soon as you use your Apple ID with the Mac, you're allowed to download the entire OS for free, regardless of what the Mac originally came with.

James83448

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
So when I reinstall Yosemite from USB, and enter my AppleID and password (no way to skip it), then the AppleID and password are not saved when the install finishes?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
So when I reinstall Yosemite from USB, and enter my AppleID and password (no way to skip it), then the AppleID and password are not saved when the install finishes?
That's right, it's only used to download Yosemite.

Edit: Make sure to erase the drive in Disk Utility before you install if you haven't already done so.

Last edited:

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Dude... if you boot from the USB... and use Disk Utility to wipe the entire drive... and THEN install Yosemite... it won't ask for your Apple ID.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
\-V-/ is correct; I've done clean installs from USB multiple times and have never been asked for an Apple ID.

My USB drives were created by using the createinstallmedia tool.

James83448

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
I did wipe the drive after booting to the USB Yosemite installer and it asked for my Apple ID.

My installer was used with createmedia also

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
You have to wipe the entire drive, not just the sub-partition.

Rsxc6DE.png

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
No problem. :)

Even though using your Apple ID to restore is okay ... I get super paranoid about it as well. The reason it asks for your Apple ID when you just format the sub-partition is because you're still leaving the purchase history of the OS on the remaining partition, which I believe is the Restore partition. Just make sure to tell whoever purchases it from you to associate their Apple ID with Yosemite by downloading it themselves from the Mac App Store. They don't even have to fully download it. They can just start the download then cancel it. That way if they have to use the Restore partition, they can now put their own Apple ID in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.