Restoring phone from backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ronm99, Sep 19, 2014.

1. ronm99 macrumors 6502

Is anyone else having trouble getting their phone to restore from backup using iTunes?

I have been trying for 3 hours so far.

I have a lot of apps on my phone, and as it restores, iTunes keeps chugging away, but early in the process, my phone loses its "synching" symbol, and iTunes keeps chugging along, but nothing is updated on my phone.

After waiting for over an hour to restore everything, all of my apps still show "Waiting" under them.

I tried synching again, and about 20 apps were installed before the synch mark disappeared, and again nothing is being updated (even though iTunes keeps going as if nothing is wrong).

I'm slowly making progress by killing the synch when the iPhone disconnects itself and re-synching, but this is getting annoying.

2. Mum4519 macrumors member

My wife is currently restoring hers using ITunes and it says 5 hours remaining...?

3. bronzini macrumors member

Im having a prob restoring from cloud. Same issue. Keeps stopping.

4. Mum4519 macrumors member

Is anybody else at all having this issue or just us 3?

5. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Having some issues as well. I restored from the cloud but now iTunes will not sync any of my music, movies, apps, nothing.

I have wiped the phone and will now try to restore from iTunes backup instead.

Looks like others are having issues as well.

http://sitesdoneright.com/blog/2014/09/ios-8-iphone-6-syncing-apps-is-stuck

Man... No matter what they do Apple just can't seem to get the whole syncing thing right. So much for iCloud Drive.

6. Mum4519 macrumors member

This is so frustrating I can't get my contacts or anything back.

7. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

So for me the wipe (factory reset) -> restore from iTunes backup worked.

8. Mum4519 macrumors member

How long did it take the backup to complete?

9. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

I downloaded the latest version of iTunes and restored my phone with no problems. Sorry you guys are having problems

10. Bentox macrumors member

Bentox

Restored 2 new iPhone 6's from backups in iTunes (one from a loaded 64GB iPhone 5 w/ iOS8, one from a 4!)... completely problem free. I kept waiting for some glitch to pop up but was totally smooth sailing.

11. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I tried restoring from iCloud and after 2-3 hours it looked done but was apparently still restoring. All apps were done and it looks like maybe 5 pictures weren't showing. So I backed the phone up to itunes wiped it and restored that backup and was done in about a half hour. Wish I had just done that right away.

I noticed I had the same problem with my 5S after the 7.1.2 jailbreak came out and I decided to go back to stock. The JB couldn't have screwed anything up since I used the backup I made through itunes before I JB. Prior to that iCloud was good to me when restoring a backup.

12. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

~10 minutes

13. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

This is why I just setup as new. Just putting my photos and music back on while letting iCloud sync contacts and whatnot is so much easier. Not to mention it's nice only downloading the apps you want instead of just bringing over all your crap.