Restoring Photos from Time Machine

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jusacruiser, Apr 18, 2013.

1. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I deleted a few photos in my iPhoto by mistake.

How do I restore deleted photos from my backup using time machine.

Thanks!

:confused::confused::confused:

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Assuming you let iPhoto manage your photos in the library
    You have to restore the entire library back to the way it was.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Look at the following Apple Knowledge Base Articles:
    Following the directions in one of these should let you restore individual photos. If one doesn't work, try the other.

For reference, I searched on "iphoto time machine restore" at the Apple Support site.

Actually it is possible to restore individual Photos. Time Machine has some interesting restoration options that are not available with any other Mac backup program.

4. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Thanks for the reply!

ChrisA and Bear,

Thanks for the replays! I have not tried to restore a photo yet, but am going to follow the weblinks in your email, and see if I can do it.

BTW....Does Apputure do a better job a managing photos?

5. macalec macrumors 6502

If you have iPhoto Opened, you can go into the menu bar and select enter time machine and you can restore the individual photos.

6. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I tried restoring old folders with no success

Ok.....I tried restoring a single photo from my time machine with no success. I could not even get the old library to show itself to me so I could search iPhoto.

My efforts, were thwarted by endless OS X arguments, about you can't do this and you can't do that.

I tried every combination possible....IE: opening iphoto first, then time machine.....opening time machine, than iPhoto, trying to get at the photo by opening up my backup through the finder window (I use western digital backup).

I am resigned to the fact that apple has to come up with something better. :mad:

7. Mumof4 macrumors newbie

I need to do a huge restore of photos from time machine, my question is... if I restore back to January 29th (the last time these particular photos were on the comp) will that delete all of the photos I have put in since? Sorry for hijacking your thread but I am brand new here and have no idea how to open my own! :confused::eek:

8. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I am not an expert, but I think the answer to your question may be yes.

When you restore back to any particular date, you essentially make your computer look, just like it did on that date. In your case it would be January 29th.

It's been awhile since you posted your question, so you may have resolved your issue by now. If so, post here and let me know how you addressed your problem.

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

It's been a while since I used iPhoto, but I think it has it's own trash folder that has to be emptied like Aperture does. If you just delete a photo, it goes to the trash folder in iPhoto and not the OS system trash. Look in the sidebar of iPhoto for a folder labeled Trash. If it's there, open it and you will probably find your photos. right clicking them should give a Restore or Put Back option.

This is true in iPhoto 5 on our very old 2000 PowerBook G4

Dale