Restoring purchased apps on 1.1.3 Jailbroken touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by cjd82187, Jan 24, 2008.

1. cjd82187 macrumors member

Well, I purchased the apps a few days ago and I just did the whole 1.1.3 Jailbreak process. The only problem is that I cannot get my apps back. When I go to sync my iPod Touch, it tries to put the apps back on (it says so in the itunes status bar) and I get an error saying "iTunes could not install the iPod touch Software Upgrade on the iPod "**my ipod name**" because an unknow error occurred (0xE8000001).

Has anyone else had this issue or have they been able to simply put back the purchased apps?

2. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

Your problem is that, probably, you're installing iPhone firmware, so iTunes recognizes your iPod as an iPhone. Maybe I'm wrong, but that would be my guess.

3. christopher3071 macrumors regular

Why pay $20 for apps you could get free if you planned on just jailbreaking the iPod in the end anyway?

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

maybe he wants the other apps instead.... and wants to have yahoo mail as well

5. christopher3071 macrumors regular

Which leads me to ask:
    Why not just pay zero dollars and get the apps free... I have the iPhone apps on my iPod touch. I got them through installer.

6. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

this jailbreak is not intended for the iPod touch yet... Sure it works but there's reports of bugs... Just need to wait for a jailbreak that's intended for the iPod touch and hopefully everything will work out ok.

I'm in the same boat as you are though, I bought the apps with a iTunes card I got for free, just wanted to check out the new features first hand... Though I miss all of the other things like games so I hope the jailbreak for the touch comes quick... Hopefully I can keep the software update since I bought it, if not, ahh well :p

7. cjd82187 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I payed for the apps because I heard of some bugs when installing the iPhone versions of the apps. Also, I had gotten a 1.1.2 touch for 40 bucks less than MSRP so I purchased the apps and still was 20 bucks ahead. My iTunes does think that it is an iPod touch, not an iPhone, but we will see what happens later. Maybe someone will figure out how to force on the iPod touch apps from the package that you get when you pay for them.

8. uburoibob macrumors regular

the purchased apps are much less buggy than the ported versions. And Maps has greatly increased functionality - particularly with inter-app functionality. Primarily, stability is worth the $20.

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you could try the suggestion to restore here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4827174&postcount=11

10. cjd82187 thread starter macrumors member

I'm a little unsure as to what that is suggesting. I read that post and it seemed like it was to get the iPhone version of the apps. I also tried to restore from a backup of my old 1.1.3 while my touch was jailbroken, but it erased the Jailbreak too =\

I guess I will just have to wait a little longer. If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to post them.

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

how can it be the iphone version of the apps if the post involves ftping into your touch and renaming 2 files on your touch :p

plus the apps act the same on the touch and iphone except for the edge and gsm that comes as part of the iphone

12. cjd82187 thread starter macrumors member

Well, im bored so ill give that a try. I think they are the iphone versions since it gives you things like sms and other things and also it is giving you the iphone version of the 1.1.3 firmware it seems, but I could be wrong and both phone and touch firmware are the same though. I post how it goes.

13. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

I think the problem is that the jailbreak isn't perfected for the Touch yet. People are still working on it, although the iBrickr jailbreak seems to work on the Touch, at the moment it's only meant for the iPhone and is likely the new iPhone firmware rather than the Touch firmware.

14. cjd82187 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I just used the method posted above where you change the file. It seems that the file you change tells your device if it is a touch or an iPhone =\ I have the apps that i paid for now, even though they are just the iPhone files but I dont feel so bad since I already purchased the software. It is annoying that it constantly says No Service on the top and that I have the phone and sms apps taking up space on my screen =( Maybe soon there will be an official iPod Touch solution.

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I think I know why my attempt failed I pointed iBricker to the ipod firmware and never chose to download it via bricker soooo I take it ibricker only works with the iphone firmware?

16. phytonix macrumors 6502

maybve that's because you have 1.1.2 "ported" and purchased is 1.1.3

now we all have 1.1.3 apps. it doesn't make a difference.
    of course unless if you want to justify your $20.

17. cjd82187 thread starter macrumors member

Well, the apps dont seem any different, but the thing that bothers me is that it thinks it is an iphone... it is constantly searching for service, every time it boots it says it is trying to activate the phone and I need to press dismiss, and I also have some non working apps like SMS and the Phone app, and there are all these options in setting that do nothing like the airplane mode and other iPhone specific apps. I have not run into any issues yet, but I could see that being a possible issue that your device has all these options and settings that it has no use for/shouldn't have on it. I'm off to go re jailbreak it again because I mess with the .plist file a little too much and deleted some things I probably shouldn't have =\

EDIT: Well, I did find a problem with using the "iPhone" apps and not the ones I purchased. iTunes does not think I have the apps (it says version 1.1.3 instead if 1.1.3 (with software update)) so I cannot sync my email with my Mac =( While this is not that important, it does save me the time of setting up 3 email accounts on my touch.