Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genetic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
once 4.2 comes out i was thinking about just restoring my phone and setting it up as new and then rejailbreaking when cydia becomes stable. i had a 3g and from day one ive used the same backup for my 3g and iphone 4 so id like to finally start fresh. the only thing im worried about is losing my texts, the rest can obviously be backed up in itunes and just transferred over later. would i be able to just restore, set up as new, jailbreak, then ssh in and copy my old sms.db over to the phone? im currently on 4.1 and jailbroken with limera1n.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I have no personal experience with 4.2 at the moment, but in every version in the past, we've been able to do this. So I'm sure you will be able to on 4.2 when the jailbreak comes out. All you really need to make sure of is that you match the correct file permissions on it, to avoid any funkyness.

genetic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
file permissions meaning what exactly. figured id just copy over my sms.db to my computer right before i restore the phone. then just drag it back in its proper folder once i have re-jailbroken and install ssh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.