Restoring Services to factory defaults

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dpo, Feb 12, 2011.

1. dpo macrumors member

Is there any way of restoring services to factory defaults, without changing anything else? (I am using 10.6.6). Or even better, some kind of third-party editor that would do this and more. Thanks.

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

You need to provide a lot more details on what you want. What services exactly do you want to reset. Some of them will go back to defaults simply by deleting their preferences, while others need specific settings. More or less the Apple-written ones usually fall into the first camp, and the Apple-modified into the latter.

3. dpo thread starter macrumors member

A while back I created an Automator action to open VLC when opening folders containing music, the kind of incredibly useful feature that you get with Windows VLC automatically. (I.e. virtually any kind of media will cause context menu items 'play with/add to VLC' automatically).

However it doesn't work properly.

I've tried disabling it in services and editing the actual Automator action but none of this helps. It seems there is some binding between the Automator action and Services that I don't remember, I edited this a while ago and haven't been using this particular machine much.

So I would like to either remove just this service, but even resetting to factory defaults would be fine. In fact the latter would be good to know how to do in any case because lots of applications just seem to fill up the Services menu with crud whether you want it or not.

By the way, zapping VLC and reinstalling it didn't affect things.