Restoring, Setting up old iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thecoloroflight, Aug 15, 2011.

1. thecoloroflight macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently was given an old iPhone, model A1203. I've been using iTunes for quite some time, so I am familiar with that. I figured I should restore the iPhone to update the software, and clean it out. I activated the restore service, and it was completed. However, I never saw a window allowing me to set up the device anew. How do I set up the iPhone with the new owner info, or whatever might happen with the Set Up ? The iPhone just asks me to connect it to iTunes, which I do, and nothing happens.

An help would be so appreciated !

2. thecoloroflight thread starter macrumors newbie

Surely someone must have some insight regarding this...

Even just to tell me how to manually set up the iPhone.

Thanks

3. jonrando macrumors 6502a

4. thecoloroflight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help.

I did that, and it restored it properly, but it went back to the same situation. I see the image on the iPhone of the USB with an arrow pointing to the iTunes icon/logo, and it's connected to the computer ( as it was for the whole time ), and then "iPhone" appears under "DEVICES". Then the status bar up top says "Accessing iTunes Store" (I don't know why..), and then it stops, and nothing happens. The main window in iTunes is blank, except it says "iPhone" in the middle. No window appears allowing me to set anything up.

Anyone have any other ideas ?

5. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Are you connected to the Internet along with having an AT&T SIM in the phone? (Assuming it's a locked USA phone)

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Sounds like you're stuck on the SIM activation screen. You'll need to put an official SIM in the iPhone and then unplug it and plug it back into the computer.