Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today said that it has discovered an issue that can cause widgets to revert to their default settings after restoring an iPhone or an iPad from backup.

ios-14-widgets.jpg

The bug affects "a limited number" of iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad 9, and iPad mini 6 devices.

Apple says that those who run into this issue will need to customize their widgets again. Customizing a widget can be done by following these steps:
  1. Touch and hold a widget to open the quick actions menu.
  2. Tap Edit [widget name].
  3. Make your changes, then tap outside of the widget to exit.
Widgets without an edit option do not have settings that can be modified. Customers who are receiving one of the new iPhone or iPad devices today or tomorrow may already be running into this issue. There is a day one iOS and iPadOS 15 security update available for new iPhones and iPads that mentions a fix for the widget bug.

apple-ios-15-security-update.jpg

Apple does not mention the iOS 15 update in its support document, so it may be that the new version of iOS 15 simply fixes the bug going forward while still requiring widgets to be reset after restoring from an initial backup.

Article Link: Restoring Some iPad 9, iPad mini 6, and Some iPhone 13 Models From Backup Can Cause Widgets to Reset

Last edited:

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I had the widgets reset and every app had some functionality blocking bug of basic functionality, most of which were fixed with a reboot. Not all.

I hate to say it, but Apple software is now in Microsoft territory where you wait until x.3 or x.4 before you trust it.

Octavius8

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2016
The clock widget has a bug since ios14, it stars in CUP time zone!, my father in law has no idea what is that. Not everyone thinks CUP is the BEST or only timezone in the planet Apple. Not so smart widget...

Reactions: Guacamole

collin_

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2018
I was on the fence about doing a clean install and I think this made the decision for me. Every time I get a new phone I restore it to the latest version of iOS using Apple Configurator 2 and then set it up as a nice device without transferring documents and data. Makes for a very “clean” experience and takes way less time (to log back into everything) if you have a password manager.

Reactions: DoctorApple

Ninjaman

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2021
I was on the fence about doing a clean install and I think this made the decision for me. Every time I get a new phone I restore it to the latest version of iOS using Apple Configurator 2 and then set it up as a nice device without transferring documents and data. Makes for a very “clean” experience and takes way less time (to log back into everything) if you have a password manager.
I don’t have a password manager so I’d ask to re do them all don’t the idea of that sucks

Goldfrapp

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
US&A
First, all the crazy rumors about Apple Watch 7

Then some crazy rumors about iPhone 13 features

Then Apple Watch 7 turns out to be just Apple Watch 6.0.1

Then there's no definite release date for Apple Watch 6.0.1

Then some features don't make it into the final iOS 15

Then some more features don't make it into the final iOS 15

Then some weird Apple Music bug if you dare restore from backup

Then some weird widget bug if you dare restore from backup

Like, what TF is going on in here on this day??

This is probably the most disappointing Q3 in Apple history.

MBP M1X could be their saving grace. Let's all pray. 🙏

Last edited:

anshuvorty

macrumors 68020
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Once again, another reason, if you have a production device, or are using a device for real work, don't jump on the day 1 bandwagon....

Stay back, wait at least until the .1 release....some wise words...I am still on Big Sur and iOS 14 because I knew something like this would happen with iOS 15 when it was released...

Reactions: DoctorApple

Jdhommert

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
What are the disadvantages to setting up as new?

you don’t get your apps/folders right? So you have to down,and every app you want again?

anything else?

@Brett

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2016
I have not had any issues. I just did transfer from my 12 Pro Max to my 13 Pro Max and have not had an issue. Just waiting on Apple leather case and MagSafe wallet to arrive now. But love the phone so far.

@Brett

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2016
Once again, another reason, if you have a production device, or are using a device for real work, don't jump on the day 1 bandwagon....

Stay back, wait at least until the .1 release....some wise words...I am still on Big Sur and iOS 14 because I knew something like this would happen with iOS 15 when it was released...
Year I am on MacOS Monterey betas on my
Mac Mini and MacBook Pro and ran betas on my iPad Pro and 12 Pro Max and had no issues. I understand people have issues but it certainly is not everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.