Restoring Time Machine onto new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Terenc3, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Terenc3 macrumors member

I've just got a new MBP13 yesterday and was too engrossed in putting every documents and installing every programs that I have into my new MBP13. Until this morning, I just realised that I am hit by this pretty common issue of having a 'wobbly' MBP. Its like, it doesn't seat flat on the flat surface. I've tried a few surfaces from wooden table to glass tops, its still the same.

So, I've called Apple after sales and they are kind enough to do a 1 to 1 replacement, but I have to wait for 4 days without my MBP for them to turn it around. Seems abit long for me to be frank, but AppleCare starts afresh.

Alright, long story aside, as I am too lazy to reinstall and putting all my important documents back to the even newer MBP13 that is coming, is it possible for me to do a Time Machine backup from here, then just restore everything to the new MBP13 without any problems? Specs wise its 100% the same.

I'm asking just to be sure, before my stuff all gets losts. :eek:
    Thanks!!!

2. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I just did a time machine from a i5 27" to a new 13" and it worked without an issue.

3. Terenc3 thread starter macrumors member

Thank You sooooo much.....:D

4. moel macrumors 6502

Yup...you'll be fine, i've just done the same from 1 crushed but perfectly functioning 15" i7 to a new perfect 15" i7

The only issues I ran into, was because I'd already created my 'user' then migration assistant forced me to change the name, and well long story short a few things went wibbly with Adobe and FCP, but chucking out proflex folder in application support cured that for adobe, and the system ID files for FCP.

Otherwise what happens is you get an error you can't get past.. FCP just hangs, and Adobe brings up a cryptic error message.

Otherwise your good to go.

PS this probably doesn't occur if you restore straight from time machine.

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Next time this happens just create a new account, then do the restore from there. It'll give you the option to just overwrite the existing account.

6. Terenc3 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I guess I better do a simple file backup to ensure. Haha..

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Maybe I am missing something here, but why don't you just clone it so that you don't have to bother with all of that?

8. Terenc3 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm, i dun quite understand how do I clone it, let me google about it further.. thanks!

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Carbon Copy Cloner is free. You will need a drive the size of the used space on your MBP. All you do is clone your drive to the backup drive. Then when you get your new MBP, clone it back. It's simple. Really. :)

10. Terenc3 thread starter macrumors member

got it pal, =)