Restoring TimeMachine backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ripley72, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Ripley72 macrumors newbie

Hy everybody,
    here's my question.
    Had my previous iMac 24 regularly "backed Up" with Time Machine,never got any problem.
    I just received my new 27" iMac and I wanted to restore some documents I had in one of my time machine backups. So now when I connected my new iMac to the time machine hardware I just went into the TimeMachine app,it asked for an HD to look for.I gave it the hd I previously used with my old iMac,and everything went fine...except for one thing......I cannot see any "past"backups..everything is blank,,there is no way to go back in the past.

So...am I doing something wrong?

Thanks guys.

2. Ripley72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I didn.'t well explain my problem...
    Old iMAc connected to time capsule via Ethernet...regular backups with timemachine

New iMac connected to same Timecapsule...but when launching time machine it sees the time capsule hardware but It does NOT reads the old backups. What I need is my time machine from new iMac to read time machine backups from old iMac still present on the same Time Capsule

Thanks guys and be patient!!!
    :D

3. spacedrabbit macrumors member

Not going to happen. The new iMac cannot access the backups of the old iMac in the way you have described.

Alternatively, you can use Migration Assistant on the new iMac to transfer what you want from your old iMac via that Time Machine backup.

Or if you know the password to the Time Capsule, you can browse the files on it and drag/drop exactly what you need from it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413 <--- using migration assistant