Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hi guys,

I'm having some issues doing a clean install to 8.1.2. (I'm currently jailbroken on 8.1.2.).

The scenario is that I've been experiencing some glitches using my iPhone (random keyboard hits not initiated by me, unresponsiveness) and wanted to restore to factory on 8.1.2. and re-jailbreak.

I've tried editing the host files, tried a different Mac, tried a PC that's never been used for jailbreaking but still nothing. I've done this before and know it can be done, but can't figure out what's wrong

Any advice would be appreciated!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Its not possible to restore to unsigned ios version.
You can only restore to the latest ios version.
You can try semirestore to wipe it clean and stay JB at the current ios but it doesn't mean all your issues will go away.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've done this before and know it can be done, but can't figure out what's wrong
When you say you've done this before, how long ago do you mean?

I ask because AJ is correct. You can't restore to an unsigned version. Downgrading, or restoring to the same version has not been possible since iOS7.

Reactions: Applejuiced

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I would use semirestore. That's what I did a few days ago when I had 42+GB of "Other" for some reason lol. One day, no issues at all. Next day, can't even take a picture lol. I would back up everything you can to icloud, semirestore, and set up phone as new. Then get back what you saved via iCloud.

kevintech

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
I would use semirestore. That's what I did a few days ago when I had 42+GB of "Other" for some reason lol. One day, no issues at all. Next day, can't even take a picture lol. I would back up everything you can to icloud, semirestore, and set up phone as new. Then get back what you saved via iCloud.

Did you pay for more iCloud storage? How does your phone run now after Semi-restore?

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Did you pay for more iCloud storage? How does your phone run now after Semi-restore?
I didn't get more storage, and the phone is working perfectly. I haven't had any issues. Read through the process to get familiar with what you need to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.