Restoring to a new phone with old backup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MazMoriaty, Oct 28, 2012.

1. MazMoriaty macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I purchased a iphone 5 but currently have a 4 and im thinking about how to transfer important data to my new phone i.e contacts SMS etc.

However My iphone 4 is prettty old and im concious of corrupted data and junk that i dont want transfered to my new one bogging it down.

Will restoring from back up also transfer any junk or unwanted data that may mess up my iphone 5? i am also concious of the fact that the 'other' partion in my iphone 4 is large which can indicate all the crap i cannot see on it.

Just any thoughts and information would be nice. I do not want a new phone ruined with old bad data slowing it down etc. Would it leave the crap behind and simple move over contacts photos etc?

Many Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are having troubles with the old phone related to data corruption, yes it is very likely those problems will be transferred over to the new phone if you restore from the old phones backup set.

This is why many times Apple will suggest a clean install of iOS with NO restore to resolve corruption issues.

3. MazMoriaty thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks.. Any suggestions on how to move over my contacts and other stuff without restoring?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you go to the iTunes iOS App Store and search or "VCF" you will find some apps that will export your contacts to a standard VCF file. You can then import that file to the new phone using the same app.