Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeepstylexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Hey guys,

Don't trash me when I ask this. I've spent hours surfing the net and trying to find the solution but I am getting nowhere.

I want to jailbreak my Ipad2, running 5.1. I know 5.1 isn't able to be jailbroken, so, from what i've read, i need to restore to a previous version of IOS 4.3. and then I can jailbreak.

I have downloaded the old IOS 4.3 and tried this and iTunes tells me I can't restore to this version. I did some research on that and tried TinyUmbrella and still get different error messages. My host files are all correct.

What am I doing wrong here? Does the version of my iTunes matter?

Any help is appreciated.

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Hey guys,

Don't trash me when I ask this. I've spent hours surfing the net and trying to find the solution but I am getting nowhere.

I want to jailbreak my Ipad2, running 5.1. I know 5.1 isn't able to be jailbroken, so, from what i've read, i need to restore to a previous version of IOS 4.3. and then I can jailbreak.

I have downloaded the old IOS 4.3 and tried this and iTunes tells me I can't restore to this version. I did some research on that and tried TinyUmbrella and still get different error messages. My host files are all correct.

What am I doing wrong here? Does the version of my iTunes matter?

Any help is appreciated.

You have an iPad 2 and can not restore it at this time. Sorry you are out of luck. To restore you need a different processor that what you iPad has....

RobartGilbert

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Hi Dav1,

TinyCFW is a simple tool I put together for a friend of mine. He has an iPad2 GSM and has his 4.3.3 SHSH but since Apple is no longer signing 4.3.3, it isn't possible to downgrade to 4.3.3 without getting stuck in a 1015 recovery loop.

Here's what TinyCFW can do:

It will modify an existing ipsw for an ipad2 gsm/cdma or iphone4 gsm/cdma
It WILL modify the ipsw TO UPDATE YOUR BASEBAND TO THE LATEST!
It will create an ipsw that you can use with TinyUmbrella AND iTunes to restore to a version of iOS that you have SHSHs for.
It is primarily for iPad2 with a baseband OR iPhone 4.

NotCom has also clarified that TinyCFW is not:

A jailbreak
An unlock
A tool to protect your baseband.
A tool that will restore your device to any firmware
A tool for use with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPad, or iPhone 4S

He has also provided the following instructions to use TinyCFW:

The usage is simple. Start the application. Once the window comes up, click the top button and choose an ipsw for which you have SHSHs for. The app will scan it and tell you the firmware and baseband versions in the ipsw you selected and the firmware and baseband versions that will be in the target ipsw when you click the second button. If you're ready, click 'Save Target IPSW'. This will take a minute or two and when it is finished, you will have a file named:

<your original ipsw name>.bbupdate.ipsw.

You can use this ipsw with iTunes and TinyUmbrella to restore your iPad2 GSM/CDMA back to say 4.3.3 (if you have 4.3.3 SHSH).

Thanks | See if this helps

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
@jeepstylexx: If you don't have your SHSH's saved, you're stuck on 5.1 now.

If this is the first time you've tried to jailbreak, then you won't have saved your SHSH's previously and you're out of luck.

@RobertGilbert: Without those precious SHSH blobs, your method is useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.