Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
I've got a disk image of a clean 10.5 install I made a while back which I want to restore to my new SATA disk.

Using Carbon Copy Cloner I mounted the restore image and cloned it onto the external hard drive (Apple Partition Map, Journaled). Mounting the external hard drive and it appears to have the same folder structure as my original restore image.

When I reboot, the external hard drive does not appear when I hold the Option key. By the feel of things, the external hard drive is not spun up (not receiving power) until OSX starts booting from my internal drive. Any clues on what I should do? I have tried plugging the power cable for the external drive (also USB) into another machine, but still didn't spin up.

The only reason for doing this was to test whether it had restored properly. I guess I could go ahead and fit the drive along with the IDE -> SATA adapter, but I wanted to eliminate the possibility of a bad restore image first up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.