Restoring to factory settings while keeping MS Office?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by insmgg, Aug 28, 2011.

1. insmgg macrumors member

Is there anyway to do this? I have a Macbook Pro with MS Office on it that I want to sell. I want to restore everything to factory settings so my name or information aren't linked to the laptop anymore while still keeping MS Office

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Yes, clean install your Mac OS then reinstall MS Office, problem solved

3. insmgg thread starter macrumors member

Can't reinstall it. I got it from my school and they only let you d/l it once. It's not pirated or anything I promise

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure there was something in the terms when you downloaded it that the license isn't transferable(meaning it's only for you).

5. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

If you can only download it once, you can't really reinstall everything (deleting anything that could link you to the laptop) and keep Office.

The best way to sell a laptop is to completely erase the hard drive and reinstall OS X (without setting up OS X). Then clean the outside off as nice as you can and prepare it to sell.

Really the only way you can do it in your case, keeping Office, is to make a new account, back up all your personal stuff you want to keep onto an external drive, log into the other account, and delete your account.

Though, the only thing is that it may leave some traces linked to you.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Correct. I'm guessing this is against the EULA to sell it with MS office still installed because it was from your school and meant for you and only you. Apart from that, trying to keep MS Office will also cause problems for the person that you are selling it to. If they ever need to do a clean install they won't be able to without losing MS Office. I would just sell the computer without Office installed. Is having that really making a big difference in price?

7. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c