Restoring to factory values and apps no longer available

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Bromio, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Bromio macrumors 6502

Hi,

What happens if I restore to factory values from my iPad (not via iTunes, as I've been told that that upgrades iOS version) and my apps (backed up in iCloud) are no longer in the App Store?

Can't I get my data back? I know I can get my apps using my .ipa files, but what about my data?

Thanks!

2. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

How come you're restoring if you don't mind me asking? You can get all your data, apps and settings back if you do a restore from a backup from your computer/Mac

3. Bromio thread starter macrumors 6502

In my iPad I go to: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

This way my iPad goes to default values, but it keeps its iOS version (8.3).

Now I don't want to upgrade to iOS 8.4, so If a do a restore from a backup from my Mac, I have been told that iTunes will try to put that operating system in my device, so that's not an option.

4. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

If someone else could confirm what I say next that would be great.

If you're on 8.3 now and have a recent backup for your current OS which I assume is 8.3, if you plug your iPad into your computer and restore from that recent back up, it will only back all data, apps and settings for iOS 8.3 and it shouldn't automatically download and install 8.4 It might ask you to upgrade but you can just have to reject the upgrade.

But I'm not sure why you would restore to factory settings and then restore from a back up? Is there an issue with yours at the moment?

5. Bromio thread starter macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity. I think it is very good to know this. Nobody knows when this information can be useful.

Anyway, let's wait for someone to confirm what you say about restoring from iTunes.