Restoring to ML w/current data (TM)?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Julien, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If at some point I decided or needed to go back to 10.8 could I use my USB ML install flash and do a fresh reinstall. Then use Migration Assistant from my current TM backup to move all data/Apps over in their current state? This way I would not lose any info with a downgrade.

2. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

Yes, you can do this. It works very well, actually.

3. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

Really? I've seen numerous other posters saying that restoring via a TM backup that was generated in Mavericks would cause major problems with a fresh install of ML.

Mavericks is no where near ready on my machine. Resources are not being allocated properly and things have slowed to nearly a crawl. I expect this to be ironed out, as my iMac isn't very old, but I'd love to revert for now. My only hesitation has been that I won't be able to easily restore from a TM backup that was done under Mavericks.

Also: what if I went back to a pre-Mavericks backup? Would that be better? According to Time Machine, I still have a good one from last month that was done under ML.

4. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

There is a difference between a restore and a transfer of data using Migration Assistant. If you have a full backup of ML on Time Machine, then that is absoultely the way to go. I believe the OP was asking because he/she does not have a TM backup of ML.

If you clean install ML and then use Migration Assistant, it will only move the user files and apps which is what most people want to backup/restore anyway.

Mavericks has been fantastic for me; it is quite stable for DP. Migration Assistant is quite robust and it places everything exaclty where it belongs, even if Mavericks was the OS that created the backup. I have tested this multiple times on multiple machines and I have yet to see any issues.

5. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I do have a full TM backup. However I thought that to do a full ML restore would back all my data to the last time I had ML. If I need to go back to ML I want current data. Can you do a TM ML restore (weeks ago TM OS backup) with a current (to date) data?

6. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

This is great news. Thanks for clarifying!

7. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

No. A restore is a restore to the last point you had ML on it. What you should do is fresh install ML and then use Migration Assistant to transfer all data from your latest backup (the one with Mavericks on it, if that is what you wish to do). Migration Assistant will only move your user data and not the system files.