Restoring vs. Restoring From Backup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by beebler, Apr 14, 2010.

1. beebler macrumors regular

This might be a stupid question, but is restoring from backup any different or less effective than just restoring?

I'm having issues with reception and apps not working and was told to restore. I've only restored from backup and was wondering if it'd be any different if I were to just restore.

Thanks.

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

When you say "reception" do you mean Wifi reception? A backup restore will restore the system (or data) depending on your backup settings. Maybe a restore on the Wifi will fix your issue?

3. beebler thread starter macrumors regular

My wifi is fine, it's just the basic network reception. Sometimes it'll drop from full to nothing or have "Serching..." or "No service" while the 3G is fine. Other times it's all gone.

I just wanted to know if it's a more thorough restore if you don't restore from the backup.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

A restore and setup as new will make sure none of the settings in the backup are messing things up. You could probably achieve the same thing for your case by just resetting network settings or even resetting all settings (NOT erase all content).