Restoring watch on new iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by viachicago22, Jun 19, 2015.

1. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

Hi guys- wondering if anyone could offer any help. I got a replacement 6 plus and had to set it up as a new device because they believed my backup had curropted data in it (long story). Is there any way to restore the watch data on the new device? I can't seem to figure it out.

2. CobraPA macrumors 6502

The watch backups are stored in your phone backup presently, so I don't think so.

Generally you could use an older backup if the most recent one is damaged. Did they think all of the backups are bad?

3. jannette macrumors 6502

I don't think there is. I had trouble with my watch pairing so spoke to Apple. After trying loads of things, they told me to re-set my iPhone and set it up as a new one. This cured the problem but I lost all my watch data. They thought that there was something corrupt on my phone that was interfering with the pairing.

4. viachicago22 thread starter macrumors 6502

viachicago22

Thanks for the reply, Jannette. Frustrating!

5. jannette macrumors 6502

Yes, but I did get shot of a lot of junk on my iPhone and just downloaded the apps I really use. Also battery life on the watch seems better - so maybe it was not all bad.

6. Javabird macrumors 6502

This same thing happened to me recently - I had to restore my iPhone as a new device and lost all my watch data.
    Supposedly your watch data is in the cloud so you are supposed to un-pair your watch from you phone before restoring the phone:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204518

The document isn't clear about whether it will restore your data after re-pairing it, and whether it can transfer your data to a new phone. So if anyone has an opportunity to try this, please let us know.

7. jannette macrumors 6502

I had to do this last week and I lost all my watch data - but the watch is now working perfectly. Do not restore a backup to your phone. Apple senior support explained that IOS 8.3 had somehow become corrupt on my phone and I must have a clean new copy and set up the phone as a new one and then pair the watch. It seemed to take for ages but I have had no problems since.
    She said it was best to set the watch up as new in case there was any corrupt data in the watch backup.

8. Javabird macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's helpful.