Restoring Win 7 partition from clone

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mr9758, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Mr9758 macrumors regular

I had to wipe my hard drive and was able to restore the OS X partition from my Time Machine backup, but was wondering if it is possible to restore the Windows 7 partition from a clone without the Win install disc.*

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What tool did you use to make the clone? Time Machine won't back up your Windows partition on its own.

B

3. Mr9758 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't remember the name of the program, but it should have made an exact clone of the Windows partition.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Usually the tool you use to clone will also restore. I suggest you try to figure out what the tool was so you can proceed.

What's the filename of the clone you created?

B

5. Mr9758 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe my question was unclear, but I do not presently have Windows 7 installed. Since the entire filesystem of my Windows partition was cloned, I am wondering if it is possible to restore that partition without initially installing Windows 7 from disc.

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

That all depends which program you used to back up your windows partition. Programs like ghost can restore without needing the OS disc, other programs require windows to be installed.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

To put the analogy in other terms. How you take it apart depends on if you put it together with nails or screws and further more if you used screws you need to know if they are designed for flathead or phillips or hex drivers.

I repeat my question. When you cloned your partition, did it do so to a file? If so, what is the name of that file? That may give us a clue, just like looking at the head of the screws.

If it was not to a file, but to a partition that may be harder to figure out.

B

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

As others have stated you will need to use the program that cloned it. Thus far only Winclone (since discontinued) has even worked for me and since Snow Leopard it's been hit or miss at best.

Good luck.