restoring windows 7 from single .vmwarefusion file

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thisisvb, Jun 19, 2011.

1. thisisvb macrumors newbie

thisisvb

Hi guys,

I recently had some issues with my hard drive and was unable to take a time machine backup before apple decided to replace my hard drive.

my main concern is that all my work files are still in windows and I can't access them anymore! I only copied the single .vmwarefusion file and I was told that it would be enough. my question is, how do i restore windows 7 using this single file. I just want it to start once so I can copy all my files. I can do a fresh install after..

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    VB

Attached Files:

2. thisisvb thread starter macrumors newbie

thisisvb

I tried copying the old file in user/documents/virtual machines folder and by mistake chose the 'i copied it' vs. 'i moved it' option.

I keep getting this error (as attached)

I'd really appreciate your help folks.

Attached Files:

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you clarify a bit.

You were running Windows in a VM and not a Boot Camp partition as a VM, correct?

My guess is that the .vmwarefusion is a package and you could just right click on it and "View package contents" to gain access to whatever is in there... Unfortunately I don't have a W7 VM that isn't tied ot Boot Camp handy to check.

B