Restoring windows XP in VMWare Fusion from vmwarevm bundle or vmdk

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alansp, Oct 30, 2009.

1. alansp macrumors newbie

I recently managed to kill my MacBook. I was able to retrieve data but I had not taken a specific backup of my XP VMWare instance. What I do have though is the contents of the old "Virtual Machines" folder, basically a vmwarevm bundle containing, among other things, three vmdk files.

Double clicking the file gives me the error message "The document 'Windows XP Professional' cannot be opened".

Moving it into the new "Virtual Machines" folder and firing up VMWare Fusion gives me the error:

Bundle "/Users/<<username>>/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm" is damaged and cannot be opened.

I've tried reinstalling VMWare Fusion, I've checked permissions on the contents of the bundle. Is it likely the bundle is corrupt or am I just missing something simple to get my VM back?

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

2. alansp thread starter macrumors newbie

Another thing...

Also, something that is a little concerning is the fact that the bundle contains no *vmx file.