Restoring/wiping hard drive for sale problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomasyn, Dec 5, 2011.

1. thomasyn macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm supposed to be selling my 2008 mbp to a girl tomorrow, and so have spent a large part of today transferring files and restoring the macbook to its factory/just out of box settings. I managed to do this by erasing using disc utility, then the usual 'boot install disc by holding down c on restart' googleable tutorial, and after a couple of hours it was like brand new with the welcome graphics on start up.

However it then occurred to me to check everything would be working fine beyond the welcome, so I created a user admin account to log in with. Done, everything fine. But now I'm stuck with this admin that has my full name and address linked to it. I need to restore it again so I can get back to the welcome setup for the girl.

But now every time I try to reboot with the discs, I'm not given the option to erase the drive or put in any info, it just goes straight through the OSX installation, adds a few updates and takes me back to that same user admin with my name on it which I need rid of.

What do I do to get it back to the welcome/input new user point of setup?

TIA, I'm a bit useless with these things!

2. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

You have two options.

Under System Preferences, Users, you can simply create a new admin user, say "Mac User" for example, and then delete your person username and home folder. Change the MBP name under -> System Prefereces -> Sharing, and you're done. I recommend this because most people want to test the computer while you're there, so going through the whole doot doot do doot doot/create user intro can be a waste of time.

Or you can use the discs and wipe everything all over again. To do this, put the install disc in the hard drive, and click restart. Hold down "option" and select the Mac OS X Install disc. When the first menu pops up, under "Utilities" in the upper left menu bar, select Disk Utility. Format the hard drive, then continue with installation as normal.

Good luck.