restoring with custom 4.2.1 ipsw

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by black iphone, Jan 21, 2011.

1. black iphone macrumors newbie

I got a phone from eBay that turned on to the emergency call screen that you see after a restore to stock firmware. The strange thing is that it had a wallpaper of a little boy, probably the previous owner's son or something. When connected to iTunes it said that it was locked with a passcode, although there was no passcode input screen. All it had was the emergency call screen. I put it into pwned DFU mode and tried restoring to a custom 4.2.1 ipsw but the phone goes back to DFU mode after the restoration process. I've successfully restored several phones with this custom ipsw before so I'm not sure what the problem could be. It has the old bootrom.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not restore to official 4.2.1 and jb with redsnow.

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

4. black iphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I want to preserve the baseband. Would I need two different custom 4.2.1 ipsw for old and new baseband?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What bb and firmware is the 3GS on now?
    If it's 4.1 or 4.2.1 there's no point on preserving anything.

6. black iphone thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea. I got it on eBay and it was on the emergency call screen and it said the phone was locked even though there was no passcode lock prompt screen. It's in DFU mode now after I tried restoring it so I don't even know.