Restoring with Just Contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dressqn, Sep 20, 2014.

1. dressqn macrumors newbie

HI,

I got the iPhone 6 yesterday and had my mom take it to get it activated. I was expecting them to just activate and switch my contacts. However, they went ahead and put all the data from my 4s on the 6. I was wanting to start fresh with my new phone. I was going to reset all content and settings but wanted to know if there was a way to just retrieve my contacts from the cloud or if I would have to do all the content again. Thanks in advance!

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

Settings - iCloud - make sure contacts is turned on. That will send your contacts to the cloud. Then reset the device, set up as new, and I believe your contacts will be available to you when they come back down from iCloud.

3. dressqn thread starter macrumors newbie

And that will just do my contacts not all the content?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you turn on iCloud on the phone and turn off all the iCloud services except contacts, then yes it will just put your contacts on there with no other iCloud data.

It sounds like maybe you don't want your contacts in iCloud though??

What you could do it the contacts are not on the phone is search the app store for vcard and there are several free apps there that will export your contacts to a vcard file that you can save. Then wipe you phone and start fresh and do not turn on iCloud. Then email yourself the vcard file and open it on the phone and you will be able to import those contacts back to the phone without using iCloud.

5. dressqn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for all your help! I just couldn't figure out how to keep my contacts when wiping my phone.