Restoring with Time Machine

Discussion in 'iMac' started by reefungorio, Sep 27, 2012.

1. reefungorio, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

reefungorio macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an iMac 27" I believe 10.6 snow leopard. Bought it new in 2010.

I just had apple replace my hard drive with applecare and I would like to restore my system with the time machine backup. I can't find the install disk that came with the iMac, a) will I need it, and b) how can I get a new one if I need to?

I have no idea what to expect about restoring my system with Time Machine, I hope that I retain all of the music and video I had in itunes and then many apps (which I can install if I need to). What I'm really concerned with is that I can't find the install disk and I've read other places that I'll need it.

Thanks
    Ree

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

If apple reinstalled OSX for you, then you shouldn't need the install disk.
    Just launch migration assistant (Applications folder -> Utilities)
    And tell it to restore from time machine. Should restore exactly to where you left off as long as your time machine back up is recent and didn't miss anything for some weird reason.

3. Bacci macrumors newbie

Solid advice by VPrime.

If the disk Apple installed contains the most recent EFI for your machine, pressing the option (alt) key at startup should show you a recovery option. If you select it, you'll boot into an installation menu from which you can use disk utility to wipe the Apple drive first and then use time machine to restore your system.

4. reefungorio thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the info. I feel better about picking it up, I don't know why I have trepidation about bringing things back to normal, probably because I count on this thing to control my life! Cheers, Ree

5. gigas65 macrumors member

gigas65

Is there any difference at all??

Is there actually any difference between this method and the other booting from install DVD and restore everything directly from Time Machine?
    Forgive me, but after all these forums i read, i am really not sure if there is actually any difference or any advantage of one method vs the other.

Thanks in advance