Restoring with Time Machine

reefungorio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Hi, I have an iMac 27" I believe 10.6 snow leopard. Bought it new in 2010.

I just had apple replace my hard drive with applecare and I would like to restore my system with the time machine backup. I can't find the install disk that came with the iMac, a) will I need it, and b) how can I get a new one if I need to?

I have no idea what to expect about restoring my system with Time Machine, I hope that I retain all of the music and video I had in itunes and then many apps (which I can install if I need to). What I'm really concerned with is that I can't find the install disk and I've read other places that I'll need it.

Thanks
Ree

Last edited:

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
If apple reinstalled OSX for you, then you shouldn't need the install disk.
Just launch migration assistant (Applications folder -> Utilities)
And tell it to restore from time machine. Should restore exactly to where you left off as long as your time machine back up is recent and didn't miss anything for some weird reason.

Bacci

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Solid advice by VPrime.

If the disk Apple installed contains the most recent EFI for your machine, pressing the option (alt) key at startup should show you a recovery option. If you select it, you'll boot into an installation menu from which you can use disk utility to wipe the Apple drive first and then use time machine to restore your system.

reefungorio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
thanks for the info. I feel better about picking it up, I don't know why I have trepidation about bringing things back to normal, probably because I count on this thing to control my life! Cheers, Ree

gigas65

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Salonica, Greece
Is there any difference at all??

If apple reinstalled OSX for you, then you shouldn't need the install disk.
Just launch migration assistant (Applications folder -> Utilities)
And tell it to restore from time machine. Should restore exactly to where you left off as long as your time machine back up is recent and didn't miss anything for some weird reason.
Is there actually any difference between this method and the other booting from install DVD and restore everything directly from Time Machine?
Forgive me, but after all these forums i read, i am really not sure if there is actually any difference or any advantage of one method vs the other.

Thanks in advance