Restoring your 3.2.1 ipad back to 3.2.1 - here's how

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by dir, Sep 13, 2010.

1. dir macrumors newbie

dir

Lots of instructions exist for restoring back to factory defaults, but they fail to deal with the fact that only 3.2.2 is out now. My ipad is on 3.2.1 and jailbroken, and I saved my SHSH 3.2.1 to Cydia, but if I follow all the existing instructions (including modifying my hosts file), iTunes will Still attempt to install 3.2.2 to my ipad.

Here's how to get your ipad back to a clean 3.2.1, assuming it is currently on 3.2.1 and you want to simply clean it up (I buggered around so much with mine I killed my wifi).

These instructions are for a PC, but no far off what you'd need to do for a Mac.

0. Download an image of iPad 3.2.1
    1. Install TinyUmbrella. Read and follow the ReadMe. Basically, update your hosts file to redirect gs.apple.com to 74.208.10.249.
    2. Plug in your ipad to your PC. Close Itunes.
    3. Run TinyUmbrella. It should detect your ipad.
    4. Tick the Advanced Options box.
    5. Change the "Request Version" to iPad 3.2.1 or iPad3G 3.2.1.
    6. Click "Save my SHSH".
    7. Click on "Start TSS Server".
    8. Run iTunes. It should detect your ipad.
    9. Click on your device in itunes.
    10. Shift-click on the Restore button. This brings up a dialog box.
    11. Navigate to where you saved the 3.2.1 image from step 0.
    12. Confirm that you want to restore your ipad.

It will now re-flash your ipad back to a virgin 3.2.1 system. From here, do whatever you want - restore your apps, reconfigure it, jailbreak it, etc.

2. aragingbull macrumors newbie

1st time poster but I've been reading various threads for awhile.

My question is that based on what was written above, it doesn't matter if you saved the blob file prior to 3.2.2 as you just need to restore it as 3.2.1?

I'm still on 3.2 and have contemplated on jb-ing via spirit or jailbreakme.com but I've read many threads where tiny umbrella indicates it's too late.

Will this be just a clean install or would this still require a saved blob file?

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In order to jailbreak with spirit or jailbreakme.com, there's no need for a saved blob file, you just have to be on an early enough firmware, which you say you are.

Saved blobs are needed only if you want to restore to an earlier firmware. And btw, I don't get the point of the OP's instructions. They seem to be telling you to save the blob at the time you are trying to restore. But the blob really needs to be saved ahead of time - ideally, you should save the blob each time you upgrade to a new firmware. If you haven't saved the blob before Apple stops signing the firmware, there's no method in the world that will let you save the blob later. If Apple is still signing the firmware, there's no need for any of these machinations, you can just restore normally through iTunes.

4. aragingbull macrumors newbie

tnx for the reply.

if something goes wrong after / during the jb and i have to restore back to 3.2, i would be out of luck without the saved blob right?

that would mean i would have to update to the newest firmware 3.2.2 and wait for greenp0ison or whatever to come out before i can jb it again.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Exactly.

If you do jailbreak, just be very selective what you install, and hopefully you won't run into problems that force you to restore.

6. jskaife macrumors newbie

Help

I have an IPAD
    It was Jailbroken but I seem to have messed it up and all it does now is stay on the apple logo!
    I can put it into DFU mode but if I choose restore it will download and install 3.2.2
    Will the above method work to get my Ipad to 3.2.1?
    Thanks

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Depends on if the iPad has a saved SHSH or not. If SHSH has been saved, then yes, those steps should work. (alhtough in that case, most of the middle steps would be redundant, but what the hell, no harm in going through them again) If not, there's no way to restore to 3.2.1. You'll just have to restore to 3.2.2 and wait for the next jailbreak to be released.

8. Ksane macrumors regular

Dir, how can I thank you enough?? Earlier tonight I'd messed my JB iPad 3.21 bad enough that it wouldn't get past the little Apple screen. (I'll never try to edit files again :-/). Anyway, I downloaded the firmware from you list and (I had my blobs backed up in Cydia), followed your directions word for word-and it all went perfect!! Thank you thank you! I am now up and running and jailbroken :)

9. penguin888 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I need some expert advise here. I've got an iPad running on version 3.2.1 (JB) . However, i came to a point and realize the Cydia is showing my SHSH as 3.2.2! Is there any form of way that i can recreate (SHSH version 3.2.1) ?

I've tried TinyUmbrella but attempting to create a 3.2.1 version but the error msg says im too late!

I do hope any of you that has experienced this with a solution can help me.

I've screwed my iPad =(

Thankssss.

10. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Excellent post. This should help some of the 3.2.1 backed up people down the road.

11. Ksane macrumors regular

Keep an eye on the thread at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1028058
    You didn't screw your iPad. The worst that's happened is you might have to wait until the iPad update next month.