Restrict viewing of certain shows in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by opinio, Oct 19, 2013.

1. opinio macrumors 65816

Not sure if this post should go here or in the general Mac software forum, but I thought here was best.

I run iTunes on a MacMini (HTPC) and have a number of TV series that I have dropped into iTunes (that I ran through HandBrake). They are WWII documentaries mostly and have some fairly graphic scenes etc.

Problem is my young kids also use iTunes for all their TV shows I download. They are getting very savvy with the touch pad now with fully operating iTune so I am worried they will start viewing the 'death scenes' etc in the docos.

Is there a way to password protect (or something similar) just certain TV shows or movies in iTunes? I don't mind if they appear in the thumbnails. I would just prefer the kids cannot view them.

Alternately, does anyone have any method that would work with my situation. I would prefer not to have to remove/reinstall each time the movies etc as I still watch them regularly.

Also I watch them on ATV so would anything I potentially do cause problems there?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

3. opinio thread starter macrumors 65816

Most of the material is watched on the Mac mini on the HTPC setup. The parental control in iTunes seems to do nothing. I have movies rated R and even when I set the control to say M I can still watch them on the mini HTPC. I assumed those controls were for purchases on the App store then?

Also even if I restrict access on ATV how do I (not kids) watch them when I want to?

I thought this would be simple? :( All I wanted is a quick password to come up when I attempt to view a video that is restricted. :(

Cable, Smart TV etc etc all has this option.

Thanks for the link. I'll try some more experimenting.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Sorry, can't help you with HTPC.
    Just tried on my :apple:TV 3 (the feature is now called Restrictions under Settings/General) set to PG, and indeed, if I attempt to play a PG-13 or R movie, it asks for the PIN set in Restrictions. As I understand, these restrictions are asserted in concert with iTunes serving the stream.