Restricted Caller ID Phonecall

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by panoz7, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. panoz7 macrumors 6502a


    Nov 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    I received a phone call a few nights ago from a restricted number. I normally just let calls like that go straight to my voicemail, but I decided to answer it for some reason.

    The person who called me knew enough about me to really creep me out. I'd like to know who they were. Is there anyway to find out what the restricted number actually was?

    I assume that when people restrict their cell phone number it only hides it from the receiving phone and not from the receiving carrier. If this is the case will their number appear on my bill at the end of the month or will it just say restricted? If I contact Verizon will they be able to tell me, or is this just a hopeless endeavor?
  2. Zwhaler macrumors 604


    Jun 10, 2006
    I think your best bet would be to try verizon. But I kind of doubt they will be able to trace it, because the number was blocked. The point of blocking a number is so no one will be able to figure it out :)
  3. zflauaus macrumors 65816

    Nov 19, 2004
    I actually talked about this a few days ago on HowardForums.

    The way the person restricted his CID was most likely by using *67. *67 will make your number invisible to you, but not the carrier.

    If you keep getting calls like this, you can file for a subpoena and get the number from Verizon, if you really wanted to go through the hassle. If not, just ignore it, or let it go to voicemail. Sorry, nothing you can do other than legal action.
  4. imnotatfault macrumors regular

    Jan 26, 2004
    not only that, but unlike landline phones (this is according to cingular, at least) there is no way to block all *67'd numbers from calling you, which would be a useful feature for the next time two teenage girls call me 4am sunday night and talk about laguna beach and taking poops (true story).
  5. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816


    Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    The subpoena thing is a great route. You should start by filing a complaint with the police. It is possible that in the course of their investigation, they'll be able to obtain a subpoena. If you're really scared, you ought to do that.

Share This Page