Restricting data usage with jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wjlafrance, Feb 26, 2012.

1. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Howdy. I'm switching over to PagePlus from Verizon and I want to be able to restrict my data usage. I want to try out the 10MB/20MB plans cause I'm a (very) cheap bastard, but I want to be able to keep using iMessage.

Is there a way to restrict ALL data usage over cellular, except iMessage?

2. 134679852 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a solution for this as well. I've only a limited 10mb data plan and I'm planning to use it only for iMessage. Any updates?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah good luck with a 10mb plan on an iPhone.
    You will use that up in 2 minutes without even doing much.

4. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Indeed, I dont really use up much of my 2g plan, I get to about 700-800mbs each month, but 10-20 is not very realistic, you would reach that limit in a week regardless of what you do..

5. outphase macrumors 65816

6. 134679852 macrumors newbie

Well yeah, but I'm roaming and 10mb data is the most I can afford at the moment so I don't really have much of a choice. :(

Thanks for suggesting Onavo. Unfortunately, it isn't what I was looking for. Rather than a data limiter/tracker, I'm looking for a firewall-like solution where I can choose to allow only certain applications traffic. I have tried Firewall IP, but it doesn't completely fulfill that purpose. There're still some rogue processes in the background taking up 1mb every few hours.

I need some fine grained control so that I can make the best of the 10mb I'm given.

7. DanielMyst777 macrumors member

Try Firewall iP in cydia. Block all outgoing/incoming connections except iMessage port.

8. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

I was just about to suggest this as well, Firewall IP works perfectly for me. Onavo is also a good thing to have if you really want to save on data. The few times I tried it, it definitely helped conserve how much data I was using but did not work properly 100% of the time. That was in the week it was first released so I'm sure the bugs have been worked out by now.