Restricting mobile data access doesn't work for Music app?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by JulianL, Aug 7, 2015.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

I use the Music app on my iPhone 5 only to play locally stored music, effectively to make it act like an iPod. Since upgrading to the latest iOS version 8.4 with the new Music app I have noticed that every time I launch the Music app to select something to listen to during my gym workout I see the spinning wheel icon appear towards the left of the status bar which, as I understand it, indicates that it is accessing the network. I've checked, checked and checked again and I definitely have the toggle for Music off in the Settings/Mobile/USE MOBILE DATA FOR section so I don't understand why it is doing this. It didn't in previous versions of iOS 8

Today the Music app went further. My phone lost signal and went to "No Service" just before I launched the Music app and the Music app hung on the splash screen for a while and then said something like "Cannot establish Internet connection - try again later" (not the exact words but it was complaining about not having a network connection). Again I double checked that I had the setting set that the Music app should not be allowed to use mobile data and I did so in theory it should have been blocked from using mobile data and I don't understand why it would have been trying to establish an internet connection.

There's no chance it could have been using WiFi or Bluetooth because I never enable either of those two things (well, WiFi only occasionally at home to do app updates but it was definitely off in the gym) so the only network connection available at the time was mobile data.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone else seen this? It seems really bad if an app, especially one directly from Apple, simply ignores the setting telling it not to use mobile data.

2. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

Sounds like you maybe right, If so and its not fixed in 8.4.1 I imagine there will be a lawsuit against Apple.

3. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah, iOS 8.4.1. I've been watching iOS 9 threads so closely that I forgotten about that one. Being lazy I planned to wait until iOS 9 general release and file a bug report with Apple if it still did it then but you're right, 8.4.1 is the next chance to see if it's fixed in a general release. No lawsuit from me but I do want it fixed because, apart from it being annoying that it's consuming data when I tell it not to, it also slows down startup of the Music app slightly when I all I want to do as far as music is concerned is to use my phone as an iPod.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I just tried this on my phone (8.4) - turned off Wifi and disabled mobile data for Music. When I started the app, it told me I had mobile data disabled and then it showed as "You're Offline" on the For You, New, Radio and Connect tabs but would let me play music I've got stored on the phone.

In short, it seems to work as it should on my Phone and doesn't use mobile data when it's disabled in settings