Restricting user bandwidth ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by matthewHUB, Nov 24, 2007.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I live in an apartment building, and my friend (who lives upstairs) and i share our own wireless internet connection. We have high speed digital cable, with an Airport Extreme Base Station. It works really well and we half the cost of the service.

Unfortunately, she spends hours and hours a day downloading Honk Kong TV dramas and this just eats up bandwidth so it's very slow to browse. I'm too polite to tell her not to download anymore as after all, it's legal, and it's her right to download what she wants as we're paying for internet together. Is there any way to restrict the bandwidth which she is able to use? I'm using the Airport Utility and i wish it had this option.

Thanks!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

So you are going behind her back to do something sneaky, I know which one of those two options is more polite and respectful.

I'd just speak to her.

3. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think i'm out of line asking if there is another option. I mean, i know some routers can restrict bandwidth, and i don't think splitting it 50/50 is impolite or disrespectful. A little help would be appreciated - that's all i'm asking for. Thanks for your cynicism.

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Perhaps you could ask her to download the dramas at night when you are sleeping...or during the day if you sleep then...

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Just talk to her. You can have her pause her downloads and run them while you guys are sleeping or something. That is what I did when I had a roomie.

I don't have my AEBS yet, but as far as I can tell there isn't a way to do it on an Airport. I know that you can do it with a Linksys if you have the modded firmware.

Even if you could do it, I think she would notice her downloads were slower and she would probably ask why. In which case you haven't avoided confrontation. You can be polite while effectively communicating your concerns, I really suggest you try that as you may compound the situation if you attempt to go behind her back and change things.

6. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the workaround... but is there any way to do this digitally?

I know if you hack a Linksys router you can get it to throttle user's bandwidth. Seems pretty cool - wonder why Apple hasn't included it as a customizable function.

7. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Is there any way to hack the AEBS so you can do more funky stuff? And i probably wouldn't halve it unless i really needed to download something badly. i would probs just give myself enough to surf at ease.