Restriction passcode

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by snowzor, Jun 17, 2012.

1. snowzor macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I have a big problem. I've inserted a restriction passcode a long time ago, I haven't enabled any restriction and in the meanwhile i forgot the passcode. Now I need it to reset my settings. Is there any way to discover/reset it without factory restore? iPhone 4 iOS 5.1.1 Jb (Absinthe)

2. pixelrogue macrumors newbie

iPhone Restrictions - phantom password

All - this has happened a few times over the years (various iPhone models and iOS versions)

Something happens and I discover the restrictions password locked down. What is interesting is that I NEVER even played w/restrictions... never even opened the menu or set the password. Apple insists this action happens as a result of a user setting the password and I can tell you that is not always the case.

Used to be able to get the password (which, again, looks like a random string I never set), and used to also be able to go in and 'add' a password allowing me then to unlock and turn off (both on the com.apple.springboard.plist). Neither method now appear to work in 5.1.1.

Problem One: How to PREVENT this from happening? Have no idea how this happens.

Problem Two: Gaining Access.

Anyone w/similar stories?

3. rrandyy macrumors 6502

I'm not convinced it is randomly setting a password. However, I suppose you could set a pass code once you restore so that at least you will know it. No idea how to address problem 2.

4. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

So what you need to reset passcode for iPhone/Pad with iOS 5.0.1

iOS version 5.0.1 (I think that this will work with 5.0)
    Jailbroken device (don't know if this is a requirement)
    iFunbox
    Firefox with SQLite Manager plug-in
    iFile app on your device

You must to do next steps

connect your device to PC
    open iFile on your device
    open file /User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sprinboard.plist
    switch off SBParentalControlsEnabled
    open i-FunBox on PC
    go to Raw File System/Library/Keychains
    download keychain-2.db file to the PC
    open FireFox and then from the tools menu open SQLite Manager
    in SQLite Manager open previously stored keychain-2.db
    select table genp
    find the row with value com.apple.preferences in agrp column (It is not shown - I already deleted it. I had only one row with this value, so be carefully)
    and delete it
    save this DB in SQLite manager
    via i-FunBox upload file keychain-2.db
    to the Raw File System/Library/Keychains
    All done - your passcode have been removed.

Let me know if you have any problems

5. amaksoud macrumors newbie

I tried this before on 2 different iPhones, one jailbroken and the other is not.

For the jailbroken one, I tried the above steps except that I didn't open iFile and i didn't use anything to set the SBParentalControlsEnabled to false.

It worked like a charm.

When I tried yesterday to do the same for a non jailbroken iPhone, I was able to connect but I was not able to see the folder /library/keychains.

Any clues on how to remove it without jailbreaking the phone ?