Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I just did an update on my iPad2 from iOS 7.0.2 to 7.0.3
Before my Restrictions was set to OFF, when finishing the update I saw on Settings that the Restriction is ON.
How can that be? Is there way to set it OFF ?

Attachments

• IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 6,204

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I just did an update on my iPad2 from iOS 7.0.2 to 7.0.3
Before my Restrictions was set to OFF, when finishing the update I saw on Settings that the Restriction is ON.
How can that be? Is there way to set it OFF ?

Your passcode should be your 4 digit device passcode. Is that not working?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
In order to turn Restrictions ON a pass code has to be set and confirmed. The update could not have done that. Does someone else in your household have access to your device?

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Your passcode should be your 4 digit device passcode. Is that not working?

The device has no passcode set, I tried but the Restriction Passcode is different.

I got 3x iPad2 and one iPhone4s

First I updated one iPad and it went into "lock", then I updated my iPhone and that went fine, then I updated second iPad and it whent into lock like the first one. Before updating third iPad I made Restriction code 1-2-3-4 and updated, after the update I was able to unlock it with 1-2-3-4.

I can restore the two iPads and get rid of the "lock" that way, but then I will loose all data I need to have, because if I do restore I restore the Restriction "lock".

This is clearly a bug in iOS 7.0.3

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
The device has no passcode set, I tried but the Restriction Passcode is different.

First I updated one iPad and it went into "lock", then I updated my iPhone and that went fine, then I updated second iPad and it whent into lock like the first one. Before updating third iPad I made Restriction code 1-2-3-4 and updated, after the update I was able to unlock it with 1-2-3-4.

I can restore the two iPads and get rid of the "lock" that way, but then I will loose all data I need to have, because if I do restore I restore the Restriction "lock".

How does a bug actually turn a feature on and then input a passcode and then confirm that passcode? You can't turn Restrictions on without doing this.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
In order to turn Restrictions ON a pass code has to be set and confirmed. The update could not have done that. Does someone else in your household have access to your device?

No, I checked all devices before updating, and no device had the Passcode set, and after update I got the question " Do you want to set the passcode" and I answered "NO".

Like I said, it's a bug, I have google it and got hundreds of similar stories but no solutions, I was hoping to get it here.

----------

How does a bug actually turn a feature on and then input a passcode and then confirm that passcode? You can't turn Restrictions on without doing this.

I really dont know!
Thats why I am asking here. :eek:

rickwookie

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011

That's the nature of a software bug! Of course this can happen; due to the bug whatever software flag indicates that the passcode is on gets set, but the actual passcode does not exist, so can never be matched, resulting in the eternal incorrect passcode message.

I've just had exactly this issue with my wife's iPhone 4. No restriction code set, updated to iOS7, restrictions is on. Tried to turn it off using the phone lock passcode, not working. Found a hack here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23056063#23056063
which worked, right up until I reset the iPhone settings, then I'm asked for the restrictions passcode again, and the code I just set no longer works!

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
This has happened to me on my iPad. Only noticed when trying to go to the App Store. It's gone and found restrictions set to on. I never had a passcode for restrictions because never used ever.

Tried restore and it doesn't work either.

Frustrating!

Anyone find a fix?

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Nope, not really. I tryied to set the iPad clean up and it worked, but then I lost all my data, so I restored from backup to get my data back and then I got this stupid bug again. Apple should make it possible to reset passcode with AppleID.

This bug is so random, two of my iPads2 have this bug but not the third one and not my iPhone4s. I have never set restricions passcode on any of my devices.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
This happened to my sister in law.

She didn't have restrictions set at all and her pass code for the lockscreen wasn't it so I tried 1, 2, 3, 4 that unlocked restrictions.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
No, I checked all devices before updating, and no device had the Passcode set, and after update I got the question " Do you want to set the passcode" and I answered "NO".

The Passcode it was asking you to set up is different from the Restrictions Passcode.

WillNN

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2016

[doublepost=1456542780][/doublepost]It's February 2016 IOS 9.2.1: 'Passcode never entered' is still happening and Apple Care says the only thing to do is Restore the phone to new. I will lose a lot of stuff. They tried to convince me that I'd placed it on my iPhone 6s but forgot. All I could think was when I first got the phone I'd somehow put it on. None of my usual quickndirty 4 digit temp codes worked. I'm single and NO ONE has ever been around my phone.
When I learned that this is why there is no longer an App Store logo on my phone....it became obvious that I had nothing to do with it. The App Store went missing a couple of months ago.
I don't understand why ibackitup app can workaround this nonsense, but Apple Care cannot. Seems to be a not uncommon problem and the Apple Don't Care solution to Restore New and lose everything is no solution at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.