Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Has anyone let their subscription expire and then subscribed again? I'm curious if there is any chance it will remember what my library was or if I'll really have to match my entire library again.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Has anyone let their subscription expire and then subscribed again? I'm curious if there is any chance it will remember what my library was or if I'll really have to match my entire library again.

Not an answer to your question, but I am thinking about doing the opposite (kind of). I want to let it expire and then wait for all data to be gone. Fix all of my album art and then re-subscribe so that all of the correct album art gets uploaded right from the start.

When I originally signed up not all of my art was correct, so what was matched and uploaded was not correct and now i have found no good way to update what is in iTunes match.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Not an answer to your question, but I am thinking about doing the opposite (kind of). I want to let it expire and then wait for all data to be gone. Fix all of my album art and then re-subscribe so that all of the correct album art gets uploaded right from the start.

When I originally signed up not all of my art was correct, so what was matched and uploaded was not correct and now i have found no good way to update what is in iTunes match.
You could try following the reply in this post on how to wipe out the iTunes Match cloud data without affecting your local library.

Also see if needed: iTunes: How to open an alternate iTunes Library file or create a new one

I suspect you have at least 30 days to resubscribe to allow for credit card issues and such. It could be longer, but without definitive word from Apple don't expect longer than 30 days.

I'm guessing 30 days as that is what it officially was for MobileMe and before that .Mac

kriebe

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
Irvine, CA

Yes, I'm responding to a pretty old post, but I was looking for the answer to this question too and instead just figured I'd be the guinea pig and try it out myself. It's been 2 months since my subscription lapsed and I just resubbed and everything was still there. So I'm happy I didn't lose about 23k tracks.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Go under "Store tab in iTunes and under "Quick links find "iTunes Match"

If just re-subscribe, if would should be under "Accounts' from Quick links section, and then under Subscriptions" click "manage"

jimthing

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2011
Yes, I'm responding to a pretty old post, but I was looking for the answer to this question too and instead just figured I'd be the guinea pig and try it out myself. It's been 2 months since my subscription lapsed and I just resubbed and everything was still there. So I'm happy I didn't lose about 23k tracks.
What's the cut-off then? If you leave it say 1/2/3 yrs later, would it still give you back all your tracks? Weird if so.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
What's the cut-off then? If you leave it say 1/2/3 yrs later, would it still give you back all your tracks? Weird if so.
I think I remember seeing that all Apple services have a 90 day cut off unless you request to have your data deleted earlier. Might be in the T&Cs.

Reactions: jimthing

martinewski

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
I found this thread searching for an answer. I then took the shot and resubscribed to iTunes Match after cancelling it more than 3 years ago. Less than 1 minute after resubscribing, all my old albums from my previous subscription came alive from Apple's servers.

Reactions: jimthing

jimthing

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2011
I found this thread searching for an answer. I then took the shot and resubscribed to iTunes Match after cancelling it more than 3 years ago. Less than 1 minute after resubscribing, all my old albums from my previous subscription came alive from Apple's servers.
Really, that's crazy! So you never lose anything years later, that's unbelievable.

And presumably you weren't an Apple Music subscriber? Or if you were, did DRM'd versions get replaced with DRM-free ones then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.