Results are in - Bypass GeoBlocking, says Aust Gov

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by cosmichobo, Jul 29, 2013.

1. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

G'day,

Following this news story...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1541341&highlight=australia

The committee that summoned Apple, M$, and Adobe to appear before them and explain why Australian consumers are being charged up to 50% more for goods than in other territories, is now suggesting that Australians find any legal means to buy goods from the US/other markets, in order to avoid the price gouging Australian-based counterparts.

It noted that several global IT companies have taken recent action and reduced their AU$ prices, but basically refutes the validity of the excuses provided by the "big 3", and is recommending business and individuals seek ways to circumvent any geo-blocking that may otherwise stop them from buying the same goods at cheaper prices from overseas markets - provided it does not break any laws.

I think it's quite astounding for a government committee to have reached this decision - that is to say, it's appalling that it's come to this.

Admittedly, Apple probably fared the best, with the only major concern being prices for online content, as Apple hardware has been quite comparatively priced for some years now. However with the prime example being the fact that an Australian could fly to the USA, buy a copy of Adobe Photoshop, then return home and still have money to spare compared to the price of the software in Australia, the committee certainly was warranted, and hopefully we will see more competitive prices in the future.

2. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I'm in the USA, so this really has no effect on me, but I agree that just because someone is in Australia- or NZ, Japan, Samoa, or wherever- they should not pay inflated prices. If there is a legitimate reason for the difference, that's one thing (different taxes, for example) but the price should be consistent in all places.

I applaud your government for doing the only thing it can at the moment to help the people.