Results!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JackieInCo, May 14, 2017.

1. JackieInCo, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017

JackieInCo macrumors 601

I was wondering how long it would take to finally start seeing some results in my daily walks. Since May 1, I've been out walking 8 out of these 14 days. I usually get 2.5-3 miles in each day, whatever it takes to fill all three rings.

I've weighed myself once each week and finally last night, I seem to have lost about five pounds.

About two years after I had my daughter, I developed a problem with my thyroid and it caused me to start gaining some weight. I wasn't too terrible overweight but enough to bother me.

This feels good to see something finally happening. I wish I could get the rings filled every day but 8 days out of two weeks seems to be making a difference. I did get the rings filled five days this week. Usually, I only get the move and stand rings filled daily. Todays rings were filled on another iPhone paired to another watch.

Keep on keeping on!
    IMG_0790.PNG

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I can sympathize with the thyroid issue. I am hypothyroid myself and it likely went undiagnosed for years, followed by a year or more or trying to get dosage right with levothyroxine, then the brand name Synthroid, followed by Armour Thyroid. They finally were able to get my levels controlled with Armour and between getting that balanced and joining Weight Watchers and getting motived using the watch, I have dropped nearly 40 lbs since the beginning of the year.

Getting the thyroid balanced and becoming more active have definitely been a large part of being able to lose the weight, mainly the thyroid, because I was just feeling wiped out and tired all the time. So tired. Depressingly tired. Nothing I did ever seemed to result in any weight loss. So happy to have that under control.

3. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

That's it exactly. Just feeling so wiped out with no energy and barley being able to drag myself into work each day. It's been a very rough three years and I feel like I'm finally getting my life back. I feel so good after going out for walks. Good job on your weight loss! I think I would be very happy to lose 40 lbs.

4. SDColorado, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017

SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

You would be surprised. It takes awhile for your body to re-adjust after being starved of the thyroid hormone for so long. Then all of a sudden, you will start dropping weight as you have already found. But there is definitely an adjustment period there.

Keep up with the walks and your body and metabolism will start to come back in line.

Edit: Thyroid will mess you up. Hard to get motivated to get showered and dressed in the AM; extreme fatigue during the day, sometimes to the point of wanting to cry because you are so tired; digestive upset, irritability; weight gain; depression; difficulty dealing with temperature extremes because your internal thermostat is messed up; increased cholesterol levels; confusion and trouble concentrating. Your right, it is like finally getting your life back, once you get it treated.

5. Julien, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Everyone says weight but you specifically ONLY want to lose body fat. Each pound of fat equals 3500 kcal. So to lose 1 pound of body fat you must consume and/or burn an extra 3500 kcal. A few (overly simplified) statistics.

• Brisk walking will burn about 40 to 75 kcal a mile (depending on personal metrics and effort)
    • Jogging or cardio machines will almost double this amount
    • Monitoring your exact caloric intake is as important as monitoring expenditure (exercise)
    • Weight training will lower and keep lower your body fat since muscle is 'hungry' and burns several kcal day per pound even when inactive.

6. BenAigen macrumors regular

BenAigen

Well done @JackieInCo - keep up the great work and enjoy the walks:)

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- All good points. I was curious about your kcal guideline for brisk walking, so I took an average of my walks. Over the last three weeks, each walking mile has burned, on average, 87 active kcal according to the statistics in my Activity app.

8. BenAigen macrumors regular

BenAigen

Just off topic for a mo - was in Aarhus in 1983 - beautiful city - was when Madness had the hit "Our House" out.
    We used to sing it as "Aarhus" - good days - thank you:)