Resume feature | Embarrassing stories

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ipedro, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

We all saw this coming but old habits die hard...

OSX Lion's Resume feature will open up an app with all windows that were open when you quit. So if you quit an app with content that you'd rather not share with anyone and then later open that app in public, it'll open with all those windows as they were before!

I'm a photographer and had been shooting some photos of my girlfriend that let's say are inappropriate for public consumption. :rolleyes: We had been reviewing them in Preview then quit the app. The next morning, I was at Starbucks editing some work. I opened Preview and BAM! Photos of my girlfriend filled the screen :eek:

Good thing I learned that lesson with no clients around, though maybe people in the tables behind me got an eye full.

Share your embarrassing "Resume feature" stories here...

2. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I'd rather have Apple fix this so I don't have to "share".

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Prior to Lion the PANIC SHORTCUT was CMD+Q. The new one is now CMD+OPTION+W which closes all windows without quitting the app. If you do quit the app after that, it'll re-open with no windows open.

4. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

5. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

You can turn off resume in system preferences if you don't want it

6. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

It doesn't require a fix, because it's not broken. It is in fact a useful feature and is consistent with Apple's new philosophy going forward. Users shouldn't be aware that an app is running or not. They are aware of content open. If you don't think about quitting apps, but instead focus on quitting content windows, then you'll be fine.

Like I said, old habits die hard and it'll be a while before I personally remember to quit content windows -- one by one or all at once using the CMD+OPTION+W shortcut -- but eventually, it will become as second nature quitting an app.

For those not wishing to jump on to the new way of doing things, there's always the option to disable the Resume feature (see attachment).

Attached Files:

7. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What? Like the option in the post you selectively quoted that's already in 10.7.0 :confused:

9. John Mang macrumors member

It's a great feature, but the only problem I have is it should have it's own pane in Sys Prefs, with individual toggles for individual Apps. See I don't mind it for Word, Pages etc. But hate it for things like Safari.

10. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Hahaha!

What about Safari and...you know what I mean. ;)

11. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Its like russian roulette, so far I've been winning :D

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I have no embarrassing story since I have turned the feature off.

13. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Who really wants to get caught looking at...pictures when a guest opens an image/PDF with Finder. :rolleyes:

14. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I try to keep private content off my computer and in a separate HDD instead but to be safe, I'm enabling a Guest account right now...

15. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I always used guest account anyways. I don't have anything like that on my machine, but I don't want people in my browser, since everything's logged in.

16. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

The ability to disable this is "flaky" and doesn't work right. Sometimes you have to reboot twice before it does. Also, launching a document to load the app will open up past documents.

17. etcetera macrumors member

I use Firefox, and I guess Resume doesn't apply to it, because it never opens on anything other than my homepage. Perhaps if I hadn't set a homepage it would open on the last window.

Of course, my homepage is all pr0n anyway, so it all evens out in the end I suppose.

;)

18. steveotron macrumors member

Resume is a pretty useless and annoying feature for me since I do lots of quick edits that require multiple Preview windows. Cmd+option+q apparent is not working for me either.

19. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

That is pretty funny. I could only imagine your reaction when they popped up.

20. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Where is that panel you linked to?

21. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"For those not wishing to jump on to the new way of doing things, there's always the option to disable the Resume feature (see attachment)."

What I want to see is a hack to modify the Lion shutdown dialog.

When I shut down Lion, I get a dialog that says:
    "Reopen windows when logging back in"

And the checkbox is checked by default.

How do I modify Lion so that this checkbox appears UNchecked "by default"?

I believe someone will come up with a way to do this before too long, but in the meantime, it's annoying.

22. monaarts macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm pretty sure that if you unselect it and restart once it will be unchecked the next time.

23. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

When you say girlfriend, you actually mean your neighbour through a long lens, right? :p

24. chrfr, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

chrfr macrumors 603

Unfortunately, it's always checked.

25. bushido Suspended

bushido

my sis was apparently looking for a 100 bag of condoms, good to know shes playing safe i guess