Resume feature | Embarrassing stories

ipedro

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
We all saw this coming but old habits die hard...

OSX Lion's Resume feature will open up an app with all windows that were open when you quit. So if you quit an app with content that you'd rather not share with anyone and then later open that app in public, it'll open with all those windows as they were before!

I'm a photographer and had been shooting some photos of my girlfriend that let's say are inappropriate for public consumption. :rolleyes: We had been reviewing them in Preview then quit the app. The next morning, I was at Starbucks editing some work. I opened Preview and BAM! Photos of my girlfriend filled the screen :eek:

Good thing I learned that lesson with no clients around, though maybe people in the tables behind me got an eye full.

Share your embarrassing "Resume feature" stories here...

ipedro

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Prior to Lion the PANIC SHORTCUT was CMD+Q. The new one is now CMD+OPTION+W which closes all windows without quitting the app. If you do quit the app after that, it'll re-open with no windows open.

Comment

ipedro

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'd rather have Apple fix this so I don't have to "share".
It doesn't require a fix, because it's not broken. It is in fact a useful feature and is consistent with Apple's new philosophy going forward. Users shouldn't be aware that an app is running or not. They are aware of content open. If you don't think about quitting apps, but instead focus on quitting content windows, then you'll be fine.

Like I said, old habits die hard and it'll be a while before I personally remember to quit content windows -- one by one or all at once using the CMD+OPTION+W shortcut -- but eventually, it will become as second nature quitting an app.

For those not wishing to jump on to the new way of doing things, there's always the option to disable the Resume feature (see attachment).

Attachments

Comment

John Mang

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
It's a great feature, but the only problem I have is it should have it's own pane in Sys Prefs, with individual toggles for individual Apps. See I don't mind it for Word, Pages etc. But hate it for things like Safari.

Comment

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Who really wants to get caught looking at...pictures when a guest opens an image/PDF with Finder. :rolleyes:

Comment

ipedro

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Who really wants to get caught looking at...pictures when a guest opens an image/PDF with Finder. :rolleyes:
I try to keep private content off my computer and in a separate HDD instead but to be safe, I'm enabling a Guest account right now...

Comment

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I always used guest account anyways. I don't have anything like that on my machine, but I don't want people in my browser, since everything's logged in.

Comment

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
What? Like the option in the post you selectively quoted that's already in 10.7.0 :confused:
The ability to disable this is "flaky" and doesn't work right. Sometimes you have to reboot twice before it does. Also, launching a document to load the app will open up past documents.

Comment

etcetera

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Nashville, TN
What about Safari and...you know what I mean. ;)
I use Firefox, and I guess Resume doesn't apply to it, because it never opens on anything other than my homepage. Perhaps if I hadn't set a homepage it would open on the last window.

Of course, my homepage is all pr0n anyway, so it all evens out in the end I suppose.

;)

Comment

steveotron

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2009
Resume is a pretty useless and annoying feature for me since I do lots of quick edits that require multiple Preview windows. Cmd+option+q apparent is not working for me either.

Comment

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Like I said, old habits die hard and it'll be a while before I personally remember to quit content windows -- one by one or all at once using the CMD+OPTION+W shortcut -- but eventually, it will become as second nature quitting an app.

For those not wishing to jump on to the new way of doing things, there's always the option to disable the Resume feature (see attachment).
Where is that panel you linked to?

Comment

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"For those not wishing to jump on to the new way of doing things, there's always the option to disable the Resume feature (see attachment)."

What I want to see is a hack to modify the Lion shutdown dialog.

When I shut down Lion, I get a dialog that says:
"Reopen windows when logging back in"

And the checkbox is checked by default.

How do I modify Lion so that this checkbox appears UNchecked "by default"?

I believe someone will come up with a way to do this before too long, but in the meantime, it's annoying.

Comment

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Fishrrman said:
"For those not wishing to jump on to the new way of doing things, there's always the option to disable the Resume feature (see attachment)."

What I want to see is a hack to modify the Lion shutdown dialog.

When I shut down Lion, I get a dialog that says:
"Reopen windows when logging back in"

And the checkbox is checked by default.

How do I modify Lion so that this checkbox appears UNchecked "by default"?

I believe someone will come up with a way to do this before too long, but in the meantime, it's annoying.
I'm pretty sure that if you unselect it and restart once it will be unchecked the next time.

Comment

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
my sis was apparently looking for a 100 bag of condoms, good to know shes playing safe i guess

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.