Resume paused video

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pmapple, Oct 25, 2011.

1. pmapple, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

pmapple macrumors newbie

My first post, my first apple device. ipod touch 4th gen with IOS 5

I know I can go into Settings and have the videos start playing where I left off.

But that only seems to work with the one video.

I want to be able to watch part of a movie, pause it, then go watch something else, and when I go back to the movie, have it pick up where I left off.

If I am watching a podcast, it will remember where I paused and resume. Can I get other videos to behave this way? Can I trick itunes into thinking it's a podcast? These are mp4 files that I encode myself and drop in via itunes.

Am I stuck with the built in video player, or can i find alternatives in the market?

2. pmapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Found a partial solution to this.

In order to get a movie to behave like a podcast, I can select it in iTunes, go File->get info (or right click and get info) go to the options tab and set "media kind" to podcast.

Problem with this is that it needs to re encode the video, and it ends up being very large. I had over 6 hours of video on my 8GB ipod, with lots of room to spend. When I change them to podcasts, i can't fit more than 2 1/2 hours of video.

On that options tab, there is a check box for "remember replay position" if I leave 'media kind' as movie, and check the box, the ipod still will not remember the pause position.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

That's odd. It doesn't make me re-encode my ATV1 compliant m4vs when changing the "kind" to a podcast.

Or does it do that upon syncing?

4. pmapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out there was no re encoding. The source video was on a thumb drive, so it took a while to load onto the ipod.

But there was still the issue of videos taking up too much space.

I deleted all the videos from the ipod, but Itunes still showed almost 3GB of video.

I probably caused this problem by changing the view type of the file while it was on the ipod.

I did a factory refresh to delete all the data, reloaded the movies, and now all seems to be fine.