Resume question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by whoknows87, Oct 9, 2013.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Should I list every single Job I had since I started working? for me that would be since 16 years old , I've had multiple jobs in different fields since then mainly Retail/Sales/Customer service, I'm in transition to Hopefully Graduate school by next year in the mean time I need another Job to pay some bills and there aren't many in my area of study, so the Bachelor is just on the wall :)

just FYI at 16 I worked at a sea food restaurant, skip it on a resume or list it anyway ?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'd say only jobs within the past 5 years or so at most, and only the last few (if you've had 8 jobs in the last 5 years, maybe only list the last 4 or the ones you were at longest or the ones most relevant to the new position).

3. musicjunky macrumors regular

I only use my last few jobs, and include the most relevant positions. For example, when I look for a job involving writing, I would list this one gig I had two years ago over my more recent customer service job. Good luck on your search!

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

You should list job experiences that are relevant to the position you're applying.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

This is the best info.

Tailor resume towards the position you're applying for.

6. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Agree. As someone who has been on the hiring end, relevance is key. As for me, I like that you started working at 16..

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

For what purpose is this resume? You mentioned graduate school; are you sending this as part of an application?

Also, I would make sure you properly capitalize everything (i.e. job is not capitalized) and quadruple check grammar and spelling. :)

8. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

lol, oh no this is not a part of an application, just something to pay some bills for a few months, and I do need to check grammar and spelling often I do suck lol

Thank you all for the feedback

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Sorry I completely missed the part of the OP where you answered my question. :p

As others have said, taylor the resume for the job; include everything that is directly and indirectly relevant. And FWIW I tell everyone to quadruple check their resume, and do it myself. ;)

10. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

After that, have someone else check it, too.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Oh, yes, excellent point. This is a must because even after looking at it four times, one always misses something.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Nicely done.... Hats off

13. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

backwards it read.

agree with that. an extra pair of eyes always finds something.

on the odd chance that you have no person to ask, i offer a trick to help... when leaving active duty, they gave me the chance to get lots of pro help on things like resume and interview skills. a useful trick one of the resume guys brought up was to 'read the finished product BACKWARD' from the end to the beginning. seems the human mind is pre-wired to fix errors and fill in blanks, and reading it end to beginning is a quick work around. allows you to see errors that you might otherwise miss. works well. best of luck. :)